Temperant portfolio choice and background risk: evidence from France
AbstractWe explore empirically whether earnings uncertainty and borrowing constraints deter households from the stockmarket, consistent with the predictions of theoretical studies of portfolio choice in the presence of uninsurable earnings. Recent extensions highlight the importance of the correlation between earnings and financial risks. We use a self-assessed proxy for the correlation from the DELTA-TNS 2002 cross-sectional survey. While income risk does not deter from the stockmarket those households' reporting a negative correlation, it does for those who report a non-negative sign, consistent with economic theory predictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00588069.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00588069
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
portfolio choice ; background risk ; risk aversion ; prudence ; temperance;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Letendre, Marc-Andre & Smith, Gregor W., 2001.
"Precautionary saving and portfolio allocation: DP by GMM,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 197-215, August.
- Marc-Andre Letendre & Gregor Smith, 2000. "Precautionary saving and portfolio allocation: DP by GMM," Working Papers 1247, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Palacios-Huerta, Ignacio, 2001.
"The human capital of stockholders and the international diversification puzzle,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 309-331, August.
- Ignacio Palacios-Huerta, 2001. "The Human Capital of Stockholders and the International Diversification Puzzle," Working Papers 2001-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Ignacio Palacios-Huerta, 2001. "The Human Capital of Stockholders and the International Diversification Puzzle," Working Papers 2001-13, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Ignacio Palacios-Huerta, 2003.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Properties of Human Capital Returns,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 948-964, June.
- Ignacio Palacios-Huerta, 2001. "An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Properties of Human Capital Returns," Working Papers 2001-10, Brown University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.