"Upping the ante": How to design efficient auctions with entry?
AbstractIn the symmetric independent private value model, we revisit auctions with entry by adding two additional ingredients: difficulties to commit to the announced mechanism, in particular not to update the reserve price after bidders took their entry decisions, and seller's ex ante uncertainty on her reservation value which calls for flexibility. Shill bidding or ex post rights to cancel the sale may provide some valuable flexibility in second price auctions. However, both fail to be efficient since the seller may keep the good while it would be efficient to allocate it to the highest bidder. The English auction with jump bids and cancelation rights is shown to implement the first best in large environments. On the positive side, special emphasis is put on the equilibrium analysis of auctions with shill bidding and on a variety of associated new insights including counterintuitive comparative statics and a comparison with posted-prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00564888.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00564888
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
auctions ; auctions with entry ; shill bidding ; commitment failure ; hold-up ; posted-price ; cancelation rights ; jump bids ; bilateral asymmetric information;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-CTA-2011-02-19 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2011-02-19 (Game Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lamy, Laurent, 2009.
"The Shill Bidding Effect versus the Linkage Principle,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 390-413, January.
- Laurent Lamy, 2005. "The ‘Shill Bidding Effect’ Versus the ‘Linkage Principle’," Working Papers 2005-35, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Crémer, Jacques & Spiegel, Yossi & Zheng, Charles, 2005.
"Optimal Search Auctions,"
IDEI Working Papers
293, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- CrÃ©mer, Jacques & Spiegel, Yossi & Zheng, Charles Zhoucheng, 2007. "Optimal Search Auctions," Staff General Research Papers 12662, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Charles Zhoucheng Zheng & Jacques Cremer & Yossef Spiegel, 2004. "Optimal search auctions," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 615, Econometric Society.
- Jacques Cremer & Yossi Spiegel & Charles Z. Zheng, 2005. "Optimal Search Auctions," Discussion Papers 1421, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Johannes H�rner & Nicolas Sahuguet, 2007. "Costly Signalling in Auctions -super-1," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(1), pages 173-206.
- Ruqu Wang & Emin Murat Dinlersoz & Parimal Kanti Bag, 2000.
"More on phantom bidding,"
Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 701-707.
- Robert H. Porter & J. Douglas Zona, 1992.
"Detection of Bid Rigging in Procurement Auctions,"
NBER Working Papers
4013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Bajari & Ali Horta�su, 2004. "Economic Insights from Internet Auctions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 457-486, June.
- Horstmann, I.J. & LaCasse, C., 1995.
"Secret Reserve Prices in a Bidding Model with a Re-Sale Option,"
9507e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & LaCasse, Chantale, 1997. "Secret Reserve Prices in a Bidding Model with a Resale Option," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 663-84, September.
- Giuseppe Lopomo, 2004.
"Optimality and Robustness of the English Auction,"
122247000000000391, UCLA Department of Economics.
- McAfee, R Preston & Reny, Philip J, 1992. "Correlated Information and Mechanism Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 395-421, March.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Kathryn Graddy, 2003.
"Auctions and the Price of Art,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 763-787, September.
- Levin, Dan & Smith, James L, 1996. "Optimal Reservation Prices in Auctions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1271-83, September.
- Leandro Arozamena & Estelle Cantillon, 2000.
"Investment Incentives in Procurement Auctions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1276, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Leandro Arozamena & Estelle Cantillon, 2004. "Investment Incentives in Procurement Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 1-18.
- Leandro Arozamena & Estelle Cantillon, 2004. "Investment Incentives in Procurement Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(1), pages 1-18, 01.
- Leandro Arozamena & Estelle Cantillon, 2004. "Investment incentives in procurement auctions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arozamena, Leandro & Cantillon, Estelle, 2001. "Investment Incentives in Procurement Auctions," CEPR Discussion Papers 2676, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Levin, Dan & Smith, James L, 1994. "Equilibrium in Auctions with Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 585-99, June.
- Laurent Lamy, 2008.
"The econometrics of auctions with asymmetric anonymous bidders,"
PSE Working Papers
- Lamy, Laurent, 2012. "The econometrics of auctions with asymmetric anonymous bidders," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 113-132.
- Laurent Lamy, 2007. "The Econometrics of Auctions with Asymmetric Anonymous Bidders," Working Papers 2007-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Philippe Jehiel & Laurent Lamy, 2011. "Absolute auctions and secret reserve prices: Why are they used?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000316, David K. Levine.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.