Understanding the link between aggregated industrial production and the carbon price
AbstractThis chapter assesses the extent to which economic activity and the carbon price are linked. Carbon price drivers can be mainly related to energy and institutional variables. However, the influence of the macroeconomic environment shall not be undermined. Various approaches exist in the literature, which favor financial market variables over macroeconomic variables. Following a review of the state of the EU ETS, the main channel of transmission between the variation of macroeconomic activity and the carbon price is recalled, by using the aggregated industrial production as a proxy. An original empirical application unfolds, by studying the carbon-macroeconomy relationship in the threshold VAR model during 2005-2013. Further research is called upon in nonlinear econometrics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00846340.
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, The Economics of Green Energy and Efficiency, Springer (Ed.), 2013, 1-22
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00846340
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Carbon Price ; Economic Activity ; Industrial Production ; Nonlinear Time Series;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2013-08-05 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2013-08-05 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Springer, Urs, 2003. "The market for tradable GHG permits under the Kyoto Protocol: a survey of model studies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 527-551, September.
- Carlos Pinho & Mara Madaleno, 2011. "CO 2 emission allowances and other fuel markets interaction," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 13(3), pages 259-281, September.
- Maria Mansanet-Bataller & Angel Pardo & Enric Valor, 2007. "CO2 Prices, Energy and Weather," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 73-92.
- Beat Hintermann, 2009.
"Allowance Price Drivers in the First Phase of the EU ETS,"
CEPE Working paper series
09-63, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Hintermann, Beat, 2010. "Allowance price drivers in the first phase of the EU ETS," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 43-56, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.