Transparency and Monetary Policy Effectiveness
AbstractThis article analyses the effects of economic transparency on the optimal monetary policy in an economy affected by demand shocks. In an environment of imperfect common knowledge, demand shocks create a trade-off between stabilising the price level and stabilising the output gap. The monetary policy implemented by the central bank tends, on the one hand, to offset demand shocks but, on the other hand, to distort the economy because of its mistaken view of the fundamental state of the economy. Transparency is optimal as long as the central bank does not weight the stabilisation of the output gap too heavily in its objective function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00651028.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, 2011, 103-104, pp. 165-184
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00651028
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Information; monetary policy; transparency;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-04-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2012-04-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-04-23 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Salle, Isabelle & Yıldızoğlu, Murat & Sénégas, Marc-Alexandre, 2013.
"Inflation targeting in a learning economy: An ABM perspective,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 114-128.
- Isabelle SALLE (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Murat YILDIZOGLU (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Marc-Alexandre SENEGAS (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2012. "Inflation targeting in a learning economy: An ABM perspective," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-15, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.