Louis Bachelier On the centenary of Théorie de la Spéculation
AbstractWritten on the occasion of the centenary of Louis Bachelier's 1900 PhD thesis “Théorie de la spéculation”, this paper puts Bachelier into a historical perspective. It explains his role as a pioneer in both mathematical finance and probability theory, and it also gives a careful account of Bachelier's difficult personal and scientific career. This includes a discussion of Poincaré's report on the PhD thesis (the report itself with an English translation is reproduced in the appendix), and an explanation for the controversy between Bachelier's work and Paul L´evy's reports on it. The paper also contains a curriculum vitae and a list of the publications of Bachelier is made available.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00447592.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Mathematical Finance, 2000, 10, 3, 339-353
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00447592/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Louis Bachelier; Biography; History of sciences;
Other versions of this item:
- Jean-Michel Courtault & Yuri Kabanov & Bernard Bru & Pierre Crépel & Isabelle Lebon & Arnaud Le Marchand, 2000. "Louis Bachelier on the Centenary of "Théorie de la Spéculation"," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 339-353.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abel Rodriguez & Henryk Gzyl & German Molina & Enrique ter Horst, 2009.
"Stochastic Volatility Models Including Open, Close, High and Low Prices,"
- Enrique Ter Horst & Abel Rodriguez & Henryk Gzyl & German Molina, 2012. "Stochastic volatility models including open, close, high and low prices," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 199-212, May.
- Alan Kirman, 2010. "The Economic Crisis is a Crisis for Economic Theory ," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 56(4), pages 498-535, December.
- Omay, Nazli C. & Karadagli, Ece C., 2010. "Testing Weak Form Market Efficiency for Emerging Economies: A Nonlinear Approach," MPRA Paper 27312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Konstantijn Maes & Konstantijn Maes, 2003.
"Modeling the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Where Do We Stand?,"
International Economics Working Papers Series
wpie008, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, International Economics.
- Konstantijn Maes, 2004. "Modeling the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Where Do We Stand?," Working Paper Research 42, National Bank of Belgium.
- Olivier Brandouy & Jean-Paul Delahaye & Lin Ma & Hector Zenil, 2012. "Algorithmic Complexity of Financial Motions," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1204, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- Farias, A. R. & Ornelas, J. R. H & Fajardo, J., 2004. "Goodness-of-Fit Test focuses on Conditional Value at Risk:An Empirical Analysis of Exchange Rates," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_70, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.