Inter-firm dependency and employment inequalities : Theoretical hypotheses and empirical tests
AbstractThis article highlights the importance of power relations in inter-firm relations and analyses their impact on firms' employment management practices. We show, firstly, that the use of subcontracting creates a chain of inter-firm economic dependency because it leads the principal contractor to plan and control the activities of the subcontractors. We then advance the hypothesis that this chain of dependency influences both the skill structure and wage levels. Empirical tests carried out on French data confirm that firms that subcontract outsource execution tasks and that the hierarchy of firms impacts employees' wage levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00375550.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00375550
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Subcontracting ; skills ; wages ; power relation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2009-08-02 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2009-08-02 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan N. Houseman, 2000.
"Why Employers Use Flexible Staffing Arrangements: Evidence from an Establishment Survey,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
01-67, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Susan N. Houseman, 2001. "Why employers use flexible staffing arrangements: Evidence from an establishment survey," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(1), pages 149-170, October.
- Akerlof, George A & Yellen, Janet L, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-83, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-45, May.
- Abraham, Katharine G & Taylor, Susan K, 1996.
"Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(3), pages 394-424, July.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan K. Taylor, 1993. "Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4468, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blois, K J, 1972. "Vertical Quasi-Integration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 253-72, July.
- Silvia Sacchetti & Roger Sugden, 2003. "The Governance of Networks and Economic Power: The Nature and Impact of Subcontracting Relationships," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 669-692, December.
- Jacques Houssiaux, 1957. "Le concept de « quasi-intégration » et le rôle des sous-traitants dans l'industrie," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 8(2), pages 221-247.
- Samuel Berlinski, 2008. "Wages and Contracting Out: Does the Law of One Price Hold?," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 46(1), pages 59-75, 03.
- Corinne Perraudin & Nadine Thèvenot & Bruno Tinel & Julie Valentin, 2006. "Sous-traitance dans l'industrie et ineffectivité du droit du travail : une analyse économique," Post-Print halshs-00265959, HAL.
- Jacques Houssiaux, 1957. "Quasi-intégration, croissance des firmes et structures industrielles," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 8(3), pages 385-411.
- Damian Grimshaw & Jill Rubery, 2005. "Inter-capital relations and the network organisation: redefining the work and employment nexus," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 1027-1051, November.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-96, September.
- Corinne Perraudin & Nadine Thèvenot & Bruno Tinel & Julie Valentin, 2006. "Sous-traitance dans l'industrie et ineffectivité du droit du travail : une analyse économique," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00265959, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.