Zero is the only acceptable leakage rate for geologically stored CO2: an editorial comment
AbstractLeakage is one of the main concerns of all parties involved with the development of Carbon Capture and Storage. From an economic point of view, Van der Zwaan and Gerlagh (2009) suggest that CCS remains a valuable option even with CO2 leakage rate as high as of a few % per year. But what is valuable is, ultimately, determined by social preferences and parameters that are beyond economic modeling. Examining the point of view of four stakeholder groups: industry, policy-makers, environmental NGOs and the general public, we conclude that there is a social agreement today: zero is the only acceptable carbon leakage rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00348128.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Climatic Change, 2009, 93, 3, 311-317
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00348128
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2009-04-05 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2009-04-05 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zwaan, B. van der & Gerlagh, R., 2009. "Economics of geological CO2 storage and leakage," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3777016, Tilburg University.
- repec:hal:ciredw:hal-00866557 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bob van der Zwaan & Reyer Gerlagh, 2008. "The Economics of Geological CO2 Storage and Leakage," Working Papers 2008.10, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Minh Ha-Duong & Ana Sofia Campos & Alain Nadai, 2009.
"A survey on the public perception of CCS in France,"
- Minh Ha-Duong & David Keith, 2003. "Carbon storage: the economic efficiency of storing CO2 in leaky reservoirs," Post-Print halshs-00003927, HAL.
- Minh Ha-Duong & Rodica Loisel, 2011. "Actuarial risk assessment of expected fatalities attributable to carbon capture and storage in 2050," Post-Print halshs-00487175, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.