Does cross-border regulation really influence cross-border trade? Evidence from the Services Trade Restrictions Index
AbstractThis paper uses the recent Services Trade Restrictions Database and the Services Trade Restrictons Index provided by the World Bank to assess the specific impact of Mode 1 regulation on crossborder services trade. The article follows an augmented gravitational model to evaluate the determinents of imports and exports between country pairs, and to assess their correlation with Mode 1 regulation of both the home country and the partner country. At the aggregated level, there is evidence of a negative correlation between services trade values and the level of restrictions of both the home country and the partner country. The partner country regulation doesn't keep its impact at the sectoral level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number dumas-00909960.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://dumas.ccsd.cnrs.fr/dumas-00909960
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
règlementations transfrontalières; commerce transfrontalier;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carolina Lennon, 2009.
"Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities,"
wiiw Working Papers
53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008. "Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586223, HAL.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," wiiw Working Papers 60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2009.
"Estimating gravity equations: to log or not to log?,"
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 645-669, June.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2007. "Estimating Gravity Equations: To Log or Not to Log?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 739, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Van Der Marel, Erik & Shepherd, Ben, 2011.
"Services trade, regulation, and regional integration: Evidence from sectoral data,"
34343, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erik Marel & Ben Shepherd, 2013. "Services Trade, Regulation and Regional Integration: Evidence from Sectoral Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(11), pages 1393-1405, November.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Crozet, M. & Milet, E. & Mirza, D., 2013.
"The Discriminatory Effect of Domestic Regulations on International Trade in Services: Evidence from Firm-Level Data,"
451, Banque de France.
- Matthieu Crozet & Emmanuel Milet & Daniel Mirza, 2013. "The Discriminatory Effect of Domestic Regulations on International Trade in Services: Evidence from Firm-Level Data," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00801398, HAL.
- Matthieu Crozet & Emmanuel Milet & Daniel Mirza, 2013. "The Discriminatory Effect of Domestic Regulations on International Trade in Services: Evidence from Firm-Level Data," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13019, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Christen, Elisabeth & Francois, Joseph, 2010.
"Modes of Delivery in Services,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7912, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cyrille Schwellnus, 2007. "The Effect of Domestic Regulation on Services Trade Revisited," Working Papers 2007-08, CEPII research center.
- Nora Dihel & Felix Eschenbach & Ben Shepherd, 2006. "South-South Services Trade," OECD Trade Policy Papers 39, OECD Publishing.
- Kox, Henk L.M. & Nordås, Hildegunn Kyvik, 2007.
"Services trade and domestic regulation,"
2116, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2006.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures,"
26469, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011. "Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database," Working Papers 2011-25, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Amélie Guillin & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2011. "Estimations of Tariff Equivalents for the Services Sectors," Working Papers 2011-24, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.