Spatial dynamics and convergence: The spatial AK model
AbstractWe study the optimal dynamics of an AK economy where population is uniformly distributed along the unit circle. Locations only differ in initial capital endowments. Spatio-temporal capital dynamics are described by a parabolic partial differential equation. The application of the maximum principle leads to necessary but non-sufficient first-order conditions. Thanks to the linearity of the production technology and the special spatial setting considered, the value-fonction of the problem is found explicitly, and the (unique) optimal control is identified in feedback form. Despite constant returns to capital, we prove that the spatio-temporal dynamics, induced by the willingness of the planner to give the same (detrended) consumption over space and time, lead to convergence in the level of capital across locations in the long-run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00827641.
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00827641
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Economic growth; spatial dynamics; optimal control; partial-differential equations;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2013-06-09 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-URE-2013-06-09 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & CAMACHO, Carmen & ZOU, Benteng, 2006.
"Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: the spatial Ramsey model,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006072, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Camacho, Carmen & Zou, Benteng, 2009. "Bridging The Gap Between Growth Theory And The New Economic Geography: The Spatial Ramsey Model," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 20-45, February.
- Raouf Boucekkine & C. Camacho & B. Zou, 2007. "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," Working Papers 2007_27, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Carmen Camacho & Benteng Zou, 2006. "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_039, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Carmen, CAMACHO & Benteng, ZOU, 2006. "Bridging the Gap between Growth Theory and the New Economic Geography : The Spatial Ramsey Model," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006038, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & CAMACHO, Carmen & ZOU, Benteng, . "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2090, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Brock, William & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2008.
"General Pattern Formation in Recursive Dynamical Systems Models in Economics,"
12305, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas & William Brock, 2009. "General Pattern Formation in Recursive Dynamical Systems Models in Economics," Working Papers 2009.49, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Paulo Brito, 2004. "The Dynamics of Growth and Distribution in a Spatially Heterogeneous World," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Fabbri, Giorgio & Gozzi, Fausto, 2008. "Solving optimal growth models with vintage capital: The dynamic programming approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 331-373, November.
- Silvia Faggian, 2008. "Maximum Principle for Boundary Control Problems Arising in Optimal Investment with Vintage Capital," Working Papers 181, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2009.
"On Spatial dynamics,"
2009-16, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Chatterjee, Satyajit, 1994. "Transitional dynamics and the distribution of wealth in a neoclassical growth model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 97-119, May.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Carmen Camacho & Giorgio Fabbri, 2013.
"On the optimal control of some parabolic partial differential equations arising in economics,"
Documents de recherche
13-10, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Carmen Camacho & Giorgio Fabbri, 2013. "On the Optimal Control of Some Parabolic Partial Differential Equations Arising in Economics," AMSE Working Papers 1334, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 05 Jun 2013.
- Brock, William A. & Xepapadeas, Anastasios & Yannacopoulos, Athanasios N., 2014.
"Spatial externalities and agglomeration in a competitive industry,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 143-174.
- Athanasios Yannacopoulos & Anastasios Xepapadeas & William Brock, . "Spatial Externalities and Agglomeration in a Competitive Industry," DEOS Working Papers 1336, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00831042 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00831042 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gani Aldashev & Serik Aldashev & Timoteo Carletti, 2014. "On Convergence in the Spatial AK Growth Models," Papers 1401.4887, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.