Loss Aversion and Seller Behavior: Evidence from the Housing Market: Comment Working Paper
AbstractIn an often quoted article, Genesove and Mayer (2001) observe that house sellers are reluctant to sell at a loss, and attribute this finding to loss aversion. I show that loss aversion cannot explain this phenomenon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00786294.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00786294
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Loss aversion; prospect theory; housing market;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-UPT-2013-03-02 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
- NEP-URE-2013-03-02 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hugo Benitez-Silva & Selcuk Eren & Frank Heiland & Sergi Jimenez-Martin, 2007.
"How well do Individuals predict the Selling Prices of their Homes?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics
07-06, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Hugo Benítez-Silva & Selcuk Eren & Frank Heiland & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2008. "How well do individuals predict the selling prices of their homes?," Economics Working Papers 1065, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- Hugo Benitez-Silva & Selcuk Eren & Frank Heiland & Sergi Jimenez-Martín, 2009. "How Well Do Individuals Predict the Selling Prices of Their Homes?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_571, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hugo Benítez-Silva & Selcuk Eren & Frank Heiland & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2008. "How Well do Individuals Predict the Selling Prices of their Homes?," Working Papers 2008-10, FEDEA.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Shefrin, Hersh & Statman, Meir, 1985. " The Disposition to Sell Winners Too Early and Ride Losers Too Long: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 777-90, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.