The Dispersion of Age Differences between Partners and the Asymptotic Dynamics of the HIV Epidemic
AbstractIn this article, the effect of a change in the distribution of age differences between sexual partners on the dynamics of the HIV epidemic is studied. In a gender and age structured compartmental model, it is shown that if the variance of the distribution is small enough, an increase in this variance strongly increases the basic reproduction number. Moreover, if the variance is large enough, the mean age difference barely affects the basic reproduction number. We therefore conclude that the local stability of the disease-free equilibrium relies more on the variance than on the mean.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00717322.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00717322
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Other versions of this item:
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Emmanuelle AUGERAUD-VÃ‰RON & Elodie DJEMAI & Arnaud DUCROT, 2010. "The Dispersion of Age Differences between Partners and the Asymptotic Dynamics of the HIV Epidemic," LERNA Working Papers 10.06.312, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron & Elodie Djemaï & Arnaud Ducrot, 2012. "The Dispersion of Age Differences between Partners and the Asymptotic Dynamics of the HIV Epidemic," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12027, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Visite guidée au coeur des travaux du Meilleur jeune économiste 2012 (2/2)
by Matthieu Solignac in Regards croisés sur l'économie on 2012-06-10 22:05:40
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.