How to Improve Pupils' Literacy ? A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of a French Educational Project
AbstractThe Action Lecture program is an innovative teaching method run in some nursery and primary schools in Paris and designed to improve pupils' literacy. We report the results of an evaluation of this program. We describe the experimental protocol that was built to estimate the program's impact on several types of indicators. Data were processed following a Differences-in-Differences (DID) method. Then we use the estimation of the impact on academic achievement to conduct a cost-effectiveness analysis and take a reduction of the class size program as a benchmark. The results are positive for the Action Lecture program.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00639571.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00639571
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Economics of education; evaluation; cost-effectiveness analysis; field experiment.;
Other versions of this item:
- Massoni, Sébastien & Vergnaud, Jean-Christophe, 2012. "How to improve pupils’ literacy? A cost-effectiveness analysis of a French educational project," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 84-91.
- Sébastien Massoni & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2012. "How to improve pupils' literacy? A cost-effectiveness analysis of a French educational project," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00676515, HAL.
- Sébastien Massoni & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2011. "How to improve pupils' literacy ? A cost-effectiveness analysis of a French educational project," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11055, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- C93 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Field Experiments
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2011-11-21 (Education)
- NEP-EXP-2011-11-21 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2011-11-21 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.