Forecasting VaR and Expected Shortfall using Dynamical Systems: A Risk Management Strategy
AbstractUsing non-parametric and parametric models, we show that the bivariate distribution of an Asian portfolio is not stable along all the period under study. We suggest several dynamic models to compute two market risk measures, the Value at Risk and the Expected Shortfall: the RiskMetrics methodology, the Multivariate GARCH models, the Multivariate Markov-Switching models, the empirical histogram and the dynamic copulas. We discuss the choice of the best method with respect to the policy management of bank supervisors. The copula approach seems to be a good compromise between all these models. It permits taking financial crises into account and obtaining a low capital requirement during the most important crises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00375765.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Frontiers in finance and economics, 2009, 6, 1, 26-50
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00375765
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Value at Risk ; Expected Shortfall ; Copulas ; Risk management ; GARCH models ; Markov switching models;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-04-25 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-FMK-2009-04-25 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-FOR-2009-04-25 (Forecasting)
- NEP-RMG-2009-04-25 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001.
"Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences,"
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2003. "Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 231-250.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Papers cond-mat/0111310, arXiv.org.
- Yannick Malevergne & Didier Sornette, 2003. "Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences," Post-Print hal-00520539, HAL.
- Dominique Guégan & Jing Zhang, 2007.
"Pricing bivariate option under GARCH-GH model with dynamic copula : application for Chinese market,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
b07057, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Dominique Guegan & Jing Zang, 2009. "Pricing bivariate option under GARCH-GH model with dynamic copula: application for Chinese market," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7-8), pages 777-795.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2000.
"Stationarity of Multivariate Markov-Switching ARMA Models,"
2000-32, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Francq, C. & Zakoian, J. -M., 2001. "Stationarity of multivariate Markov-switching ARMA models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 339-364, June.
- Dominique Guegan, 2007. "La persistance dans les marchés financiers," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00179269, HAL.
- M. Gilli & E. Kellezi & H. Hysi, 2006.
"A Data-Driven Optimization Heuristic for Downside Risk Minimization,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
355, Society for Computational Economics.
- Manfred Gilli & Evis Këllezi & Hilda Hysi, . "A Data-Driven Optimization Heuristic for Downside Risk Minimization," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-02, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Cyril Caillault, Dominique Guégan, 2009. "Forecasting VaR and Expected Shortfall Using Dynamical Systems: A Risk Management Strategy," Frontiers in Finance and Economics, SKEMA Business School, vol. 6(1), pages 26-50, April.
- Dominique Guegan, 2004. "How Can We Define the Long Memory Concept? An Econometric Survey," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 361, Econometric Society.
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005. "Empirical Estimation of Tail Dependence Using Copulas. Application to Asian Markets," Post-Print halshs-00180865, HAL.
- Dominique Guegan, 2005. "How can we Define the Concept of Long Memory? An Econometric Survey," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 113-149.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Terasvirta, Timo & Patton, Andrew J., 2006.
"Common factors in conditional distributions for bivariate time series,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 43-57, May.
- Timo Terasvirta & Clive W.J Granger & Andrew Patton, 2003. "Common factors in conditional distributions for Bivariate time series," FMG Discussion Papers dp455, Financial Markets Group.
- Hamilton, James D., 1988. "Rational-expectations econometric analysis of changes in regime : An investigation of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 385-423.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Non-stationarities in financial time series, the long range dependence and the IGARCH effects," Econometrics 0412005, EconWPA.
- Dominique Guegan & Jing Zhang, 2009. "Pricing bivariate option under GARCH-GH model with dynamic copula: application for Chinese market," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00368336, HAL.
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005. "Empirical estimation of tail dependence using copulas: application to Asian markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 489-501.
- Eric Jondeau & Michael Rockinger, 2002. "Conditional Dependency of Financial Series: The Copula-GARCH Model," FAME Research Paper Series rp69, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Dominique Guegan, 2005. "How can we define the concept of long memory ? An econometric survey," Post-Print halshs-00179343, HAL.
- Fermanian, Jean-David, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 119-152, July.
- Dominique Gu\'egan & Wayne Tarrant, 2011. "On the Necessity of Five Risk Measures," Papers 1111.4414, arXiv.org.
- Dominique Gu/'egan & Wayne Tarrant, 2011. "Viewing Risk Measures as Information," Papers 1111.4417, arXiv.org.
- Dominique Guegan & Jing Zhang, 2010. "Change analysis of a dynamic copula for measuring dependence in multivariate financial data," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00368334, HAL.
- Dominique Guégan, 2009. "A Meta-Distribution for Non-Stationary Samples," CREATES Research Papers 2009-24, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.