On the existence of approximated equilibria in discontinuous economies
AbstractIn this paper, we prove an existence theorem for approximated equilibria in a class of discontinuous economies. The existence result is a direct consequence of a discontinuous extension of Brouwer's fixed point Theorem (1912), and is a refinement of several classical results in the standard General Equilibrium with Incomplete markets (GEI) model (e.g., Bottazzi (1995), Duffie and Shafer (1985), Husseini et al. (1990), Geanakoplos and Shafer (1990), Magill and Shafer (1991)). As a by-product, we get the first existence proof of an approximated equilibrium in the GEI model, without perturbing the asset structure nor the endowments. Our main theorem rests on a new topological structure result for the asset equilibrium space and may be of interest by itself.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00287685.
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Journal of Mathematical Economics, 2005, 41, 4-5, 463-481
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00287685
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
general equilibrium; incomplete markets; approximated equilibrium;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chichilnisky, Graciela & Heal, Geoffrey, 1996. "On the existence and the structure of the pseudo-equilibrium manifold," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 171-186.
- Brown, Donald J & DeMarzo, Peter M & Eaves, B Curtis, 1996. "Computing Equilibria When Asset Markets Are Incomplete," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Duffie, Darrell & Shafer, Wayne, 1985. "Equilibrium in incomplete markets: I : A basic model of generic existence," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 285-300, June.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Husseini, S. Y. & Lasry, J. -M. & Magill, M. J. P., 1990. "Existence of equilibrium with incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 39-67.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
- Hirsch, M. D. & Magill, M. & Mas-Colell, A., 1990. "A geometric approach to a class of equilibrium existence theorems," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 95-106.
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc, 1995. "Existence of equilibria with incomplete markets: The case of smooth returns," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 59-72.
- Geanakoplos, John & Shafer, Wayne, 1990. "Solving systems of simultaneous equations in economics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 69-93.
- Philippe Bich, 2006. "On the orientability of the asset equilibrium manifold," Post-Print halshs-00287677, HAL.
- Vincenzo Scalzo, 2011. "Existence of Equilibrium Prices for Discontinuous Excess Demand Correspondences," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 203-210, August.
- Bich, Philippe, 2006. "On the orientability of the asset equilibrium manifold," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6111, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bich, Philippe, 2006. "On the orientability of the asset equilibrium manifold," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 452-470, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.