A Note on Indeterminacy in Overlapping Generations Economies with Environment and Endogenous Labor Supply
AbstractWe consider an overlapping generations model with environment and an elastic labor supply. In this framework, consumers have to choose between consumption, environmental quality, and leisure. We show the existence of both deterministic cycles and indeterminacy. In contrast to previous results, the emergence of endogenous fluctuations does not require a high emission rate of pollution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00194230.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Macroeconomic Dynamics, 2007, 11, 3, 423-429
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00194230
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Environment ; labor supply ; overlapping generations ; indeterminacy ; endogenous cycles;
Other versions of this item:
- Seegmuller, Thomas & Verch Re, Alban, 2007. "A Note On Indeterminacy In Overlapping Generations Economies With Environment And Endogenous Labor Supply," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 423-429, June.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John, A & Pecchenino, R, 1994. "An Overlapping Generations Model of Growth and the Environment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1393-1410, November.
- Thomas SEEGMULLER & Alban VERCHÈRE, 2005. "Environment in an Overlapping Generations Economy with Endogenous Labor Supply : a Dynamic Analysis," Working Papers of BETA 2005-05, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985. "On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2005. "Economic growth and the environment," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 23, pages 1219-1271 Elsevier.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Benhabib, J. & Farmer, R.E.A, 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
165, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Jess Benhabib & Roger E.A. Farmer, 1992. "Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns," UCLA Economics Working Papers 646, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991. "Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns," Working Papers 91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick A., 1998.
"Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 60-107, May.
- G, Cazzavillan & T, Lloyd-Braga & P, A, Pintus, 1997. "Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production," Working Papers 97-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick, 1996. "Multiple steady states and endogenous fluctuations with increasing returns to scale in production," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9618, CEPREMAP.
- Junxi Zhang, 1999. "Environmental sustainability, nonlinear dynamics and chaos," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 489-500.
- John, A. & Pecchenino, R. & Schimmelpfennig, D. & Schreft, S., 1995. "Short-lived agents and the long-lived environment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 127-141, September.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Cazzavillan, Guido, 2001. "Indeterminacy and Endogenous Fluctuations with Arbitrarily Small Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 133-157, November.
- Thomas Seegmuller & Alban Verchere, 2002.
"Pollution as a source of endogenous fluctuations and periodic welfare inequality in OLG economies,"
Working Papers of BETA
2002-18, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Seegmuller, Thomas & Verchere, Alban, 2004. "Pollution as a source of endogenous fluctuations and periodic welfare inequality in OLG economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 363-369, September.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Mouez Fohda & Thomas Seegmuller, 2010. "Environmental Policy and Public Debt Stabilization," Working Papers halshs-00512789, HAL.
- De Beir, Jean & Fodha, Mouez & Magris, Francesco, 2010.
"Life Cycle Of Products And Cycles,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 212-230, April.
- Jean De Beir & Mouez Fodha & Francesco Magris, 2008. "Life Cycle of Products and Cycles," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00348862, HAL.
- Jean De Beir & Mouez Fodha & Francesco Magris, 2009. "Life Cycle of Products and Cycles," Documents de recherche 09-16, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Jean De Beir & Mouez Fodha & Francesco Magris, 2008. "Life cycle of products and cycles," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne v08091, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Stefano Bosi & David Desmarchelier & Lionel Ragot, 2013. "Pollution effects on labor supply and growth," CEEES Paper Series CE3S-05/13, European University at St. Petersburg, Department of Economics.
- Jean De Beir & Mouez Fodha & Francesco Magris, 2008. "Life Cycle of Products and Cycles," Post-Print halshs-00348862, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.