A Dynamic Analysis Of Segmented Labor Market
AbstractUsing the Panel Study of Income Dynamics data on the period 1982-1992, this paper investigates some mechanisms of the labor market in the United States. This market is analyzed as a stable structure constituted of segments which present contrasted characteristics under the usual distinction between primary and secondary sectors. Using a neural network algorithm applied on quantitative variables measured at the level of heads of household, a broad classification in four classes of situations is constructed. It shows a clear hierarchy going from situations of very precarious work or no work at all, to situations of stable jobs with higher wages than the average. A Markov chain, constructed with the trajectories between the different situations of these workers, shows a very stable structure of this segmented labor market. Keywords: segmented labor market, unemployment, trajectories, Kohonen algorithm, Markov chain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number hal-00134147.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Fuzzy Economic Review, 1999, Vol IV, n° 2, 63-82
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00134147
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Keywords: segmented labor market; unemployment; trajectories; Kohonen algorithm; Markov chain.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Patrick Letrémy & Marie Cottrell & Patrice Gaubert & Joseph Rynkiewicz, 2007. "Dynamical Equilibrium, trajectories study in an economical system. The case of the labor market," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00141463, HAL.
- Patrick Letrémy & Marie Cottrell & Patrice Gaubert & Joseph Rynkiewicz, 2007. "Dynamical Equilibrium, trajectories study in an economical system. The case of the labor market," Post-Print hal-00141463, HAL.
- Marie Cottrell & Patrice Gaubert & Joseph Rynkiewicz & Patrick Letrémy, 2007. "Equilibre dynamique, étude de trajectoires dans un système économique. Le cas du marché du travail," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00139904, HAL.
- Etienne Côme & Marie Cottrell & Patrice Gaubert, 2010. "Trajectoires d'emploi identifiées à l'aide de cartes auto-organisées classifiantes. Etude réalisée avec le Panel Study of Income Dynamics, 1993-2003," Post-Print hal-00450708, HAL.
- du Jardin, Philippe & Séverin, Eric, 2010. "Dynamic analysis of the business failure process: A study of bankruptcy trajectories," MPRA Paper 44379, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.