The Impact of Same-Sex Marriage on Hawaii's Economy and Government: An Update After the U.S. Supreme Court's Same-Sex Marriage Decisions
AbstractThis report provides an update on the potential impact of marriage equality in Hawai'i on the stateâ€™s economy in light of the U.S. Supreme Courtâ€™s recent DOMA and Proposition 8 decisions. We find that marriage equality is likely to lead to substantial increases in Hawai'i visitor arrivals, visitor spending, and state and county general excise tax revenues due to pent-up demand for same-sex marriage. Over the 2014-2016 period, we estimate that additional visitor spending due to marriage equality would amount to $217 million. The additional gains in visitor spending are time-sensitive: Spending by U.S. same-sex couples and their guests on honeymoons and marriages will be diverted to other states until Hawai'i recognizes marriage equality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 201312.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J12 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Marriage; Marital Dissolution; Family Structure
- K36 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Family and Personal Law
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2013-08-10 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2013-08-10 (Public Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2013-08-10 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web Technician).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.