The Impact of Same-Sex Marriage on Hawai'i's Economy and Government
AbstractThis report provides quantitative and qualitative measures of the impact of same-sex marriage on Hawai'i's economy and government. We find that marriage equality is likely to lead to substantial increases in visitor arrivals, visitor spending, and state and county general excise tax revenues. We estimate that fewer than 100 spouses will be added as beneficiaries to public and private employer-provided health insurance plans. The size of the gains from marriage equality depends critically on upcoming rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court on the constitutionality of Californiaâ€™s Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 201302.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Sumner La Croix & Lauren Gabriel, 2013. "The Impact of Same-Sex Marriage on HawaiÔiÕs Economy and Government," Working Papers 2013-1, University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- J12 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Marriage; Marital Dissolution; Family Structure
- K36 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Family and Personal Law
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2013-02-16 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2013-02-16 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2013-02-16 (Public Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2013-02-16 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web Technician).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.