AbstractThe terms “royalty”, “marginal user cost”, and “scarcity rent” are often used interchangeably in resource economics, resulting in considerable confusion. We suggest distinct and meaningful definitions for the terms “royalty”, “marginal user cost”, and “scarcity rent” and discuss the relationships among them. Using the example of extraction fees for leasees, we show how failing to understand the distinct meaning of these terms may lead to policy errors. By constructing a model containing both capital and resources as state variables, we verify that user cost in capital theory is a different concept than marginal user cost in resource economics and suggest a taxonomy to avoid misinterpretation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200712.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2007-05-26 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-GTH-2007-05-26 (Game Theory)
- NEP-SOC-2007-05-26 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Issues in the Measurement of Capital Services, Depreciation, Asset Price Changes, and Interest Rates," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Capital in the New Economy, pages 479-556 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael A. Toman, 1986. ""Depletion Effects" and Nonrenewable Resource Supply: A Diagrammatic Exposition," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(4), pages 341-352.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web Technician).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.