Localized Level Crossing Random Walk Test Robust to the Presence of Structural Breaks
AbstractWe propose a modified version of the nonparametric level crossing random walk test, in which the crossing level is determined locally. This modification results in a test that is robust to unknown multiple structural breaks in the level and slope of the trend function under both the null and alternative hypothesis. No knowledge regarding the number or timing of the breaks is required. An algorithm is proposed to select the degree of localization in order to maximize bootstrapped power in a proximate model. A computational procedure is then developed to adjust the critical values for the effect of this selection procedure by replicating it under the null hypothesis. The test is applied to Canadian nominal inflation and nominal interest rate series with implications for the Fisher hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Guelph, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 1001.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Level crossing; random walk; structural breaks; unit root; robustness;
Other versions of this item:
- Alexeev, Vitali & Maynard, Alex, 2012. "Localized level crossing random walk test robust to the presence of structural breaks," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3322-3344.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-07-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-07-24 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhao, Zhibiao & Wu, Wei Biao, 2007. "Asymptotic theory for curve-crossing analysis," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(7), pages 862-877, July.
- Felipe Aparicio & Alvaro Escribano & Ana E. Sipols, 2006.
"Range Unit-Root (RUR) Tests: Robust against Nonlinearities, Error Distributions, Structural Breaks and Outliers,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 545-576, 07.
- Escribano, Álvaro & Sipols, Ana E. & Aparicio, Felipe M., 2006. "Range Unit Root (RUR) Tests: Robust against Nonlinearities, Error Distributions, Structural Breaks and Outliers," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/2582, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Vogelsang, T.J., 1994. "On Testing for a Unit Root in the Presence of Additive Outliers," Papers 94-30, Cornell - Department of Economics.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Keith Vorkink, 2001.
"Efficient Estimation of Conditional Asset Pricing Models,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
144, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Hodgson, Douglas J & Vorkink, Keith P, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Conditional Asset-Pricing Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 269-83, April.
- Frank Atkins & Milanda Chan, 2004. "Trend breaks and the fisher hypothesis in canada and the United States," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(17), pages 1907-1913.
- Kim, Dukpa & Perron, Pierre, 2009.
"Unit root tests allowing for a break in the trend function at an unknown time under both the null and alternative hypotheses,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Pierre Perron, 2006. "Unit Root Tests Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time Under Both the Null and Alternative Hypotheses," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Bryan W. Brown & Douglas J. Hodgson, 2007. "Semiparametric efficiency bounds in dynamic non-linear systems under elliptical symmetry," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 35-48, 03.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2001.
"Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
143, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Keith Vorkink & Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton, 2002. "Testing the capital asset pricing model efficiently under elliptical symmetry: a semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 617-639.
- Douglas J Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2000. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/398, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton & Douglas J.Hodgson & Keith Vorkink, 2001. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," FMG Discussion Papers dp382, Financial Markets Group.
- Garc a, Ana & Sans , Andreu, 2006. "A Generalization Of The Burridge Guerre Nonparametric Unit Root Test," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 756-761, August.
- Burridge, Peter & Guerre, Emmanuel, 1996. "The Limit Distribution of level Crossings of a Random Walk, and a Simple Unit Root Test," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 705-723, October.
- George Kapetanios, 2002. "Unit Root Testing against the Alternative Hypothesis of up to m Structural Breaks," Working Papers 469, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dianqin Wang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.