Wage Bargaining in a Multiple Application Search Model with Recall
AbstractIn this paper I extend the multiple application urn-ball game structure, introduced by Gautier and Moraga-Gonzalez (2004) and Albrecht, Gautier, and Vroman (2006), to an scenario where firms can, after a rejection, make additional wage offers. This expands the game structure from a one-shot set up to a sequential game. A firm, after being rejected by an applicant, can choose another applicant to make him a new wage o¤er. This possibility gives firms an outside option after a rejection. This increases the bargaining power of firms, implying a change in their wage offer behavior. The resulting wage distribution is hump-shaped with the density of wage offers concentrated on central values, rather than in extreme values.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de Guanajuato, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Department of Economics and Finance Working Papers with number EC201001.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UCEA-Campus Marfil, Fracc. I, El Establo, Guanajuato GTO 36250
Phone: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Fax: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Web page: http://economia.ugto.org/
More information through EDIRC
Matching; Labor Market; Multiple application; Wage distribution;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Diamond, Peter A, 1994.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 417-34, July.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages," Working papers 546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Pieter A. Gautier & José Luis Moraga-González, 2004.
"Strategic Wage Setting and Coordination Frictions with Multiple Applications,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1304, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gautier, Pieter & Moraga-González, José L., 2004. "Strategic Wage Setting and Coordination Frictions with Multiple Applications," IZA Discussion Papers 1260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pieter A. Gautier & Jose L. Moraga, 2004. "Strategic Wage Setting and Coordination Frictions with Multiple Applications," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-063/1, Tinbergen Institute, revised 16 Aug 2004.
- Pissarides, C A, 1979. "Job Matchings with State Employment Agencies and Random Search," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 818-33, December.
- James Albrecht & Pieter A. Gautier & Susan Vroman, 2006.
"Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(4), pages 869-891.
- James Albrecht & Pieter Gautier & Susan Vroman, 2003. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-004/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 14 Feb 2004.
- James Albrecht & Pieter Gautier, 2004. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 330, Econometric Society.
- James Albrecht, Pieter Gautier, & Susan Vroman, 2003. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Application," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-02, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter & Vroman, Susan, 2003. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," IZA Discussion Papers 719, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lang, Kevin, 1991. "Persistent Wage Dispersion and Involuntary Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 181-202, February.
- Philipp Kircher, 2009.
"Efficiency of Simultaneous Search,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(5), pages 861-913, October.
- Philipp Kircher, 2008. "Efficiency of Simultaneous Search," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-004, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Kircher, Philipp, 2009. "Efficiency of simultaneous search," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Marja-Liisa Halko & Klaus Kultti & and Juha Virrankoski, 2008. "Search Direction And Wage Dispersion," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(1), pages 111-134, 02.
- Peters, Michael, 1984. "Bertrand Equilibrium with Capacity Constraints and Restricted Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1117-27, September.
- Montgomery, James D, 1991. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion and Interindustry Wage Differentials," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 163-79, February.
- Butters, Gerard R, 1977. "Equilibrium Distributions of Sales and Advertising Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 465-91, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Sanchez Mier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.