Tiempo Efectivo de Salida de la Pobreza
AbstractWe develop a methodology to estimate the actual exit time from poverty and the minimum necessary growth rate to eradicate it in a determined period of time. The estimators proposed by Kanbur(1987) and Morduch(1998) underestimate the exit time from poverty since they do not consider the lowest quantiles of the income distribution as their reference group. The methodology is applied to rural areas in Mexico.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de Guanajuato, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Department of Economics and Finance Working Papers with number EC200601.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Estudios Económicos (2009)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UCEA-Campus Marfil, Fracc. I, El Establo, Guanajuato GTO 36250
Phone: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Fax: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Web page: http://economia.ugto.org/
More information through EDIRC
Poverty measurement; actual exit time; minimum necessary growth rate.;
Other versions of this item:
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Oscar Javier Cárdenas Rodríguez & Francisco Javier Luna López, 2006. "Estimación del tiempo de salida de la pobreza: Una aplicación a los diez municipios más marginados de México," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 21(1), pages 45-54.
- Zheng, Buhong, 1997. " Aggregate Poverty Measures," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 123-62, June.
- Morduch, Jonathan, 1998. "Poverty, economic growth, and average exit time," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 385-390, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Sanchez Mier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.