Assessing Global CGE Model Validity Using Agricultural Price Volatility
AbstractComputable General Equilibrium (CGE) models are commonly used for global agricultural market analysis. However, concerns are sometimes raised about the quality of their output since key parameters may not be econometrically estimated and little emphasis is generally given to model assessment. This article addresses the latter issue by developing an approach to validating CGE models based on the ability to reproduce observed price volatility in agricultural markets. We show how patterns in the deviations between model predictions and validation criteria can be used to identify the weak points of a model and guide development of improved specifications with firmer empirical foundations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University in its series GTAP Working Papers with number 1875.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Note: GTAP Working Paper No. 32
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145
Phone: (765) 494-4267
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-01-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2006-01-24 (Computational Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hakim Ben Hammouda & Patrick N. Osakwe, 2008.
"Global Trade Models and Economic Policy Analyses: Relevance, Risks and Repercussions for Africa,"
Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 26(2), pages 151-170, 03.
- Ben Hammouda, Hakim & Osakwe, Patrick N., 2006. "Global Trade Models and Economic Policy Analyses: Relevance, Risks and Repercussions for Africa," MPRA Paper 1851, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ernesto Valenzuela & Kym Anderson & Thomas Hertel, 2007.
"Impacts of Trade Reform: Sensitivity of Model Results to Key Assumptions,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies
2007-09, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Ernesto Valenzuela & Kym Anderson & Thomas Hertel, 2008. "Impacts of trade reform: sensitivity of model results to key assumptions," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 395-420, February.
- Pratt, Stephen & Blake, Adam & Swann, Peter, 2013. "Dynamic general equilibrium model with uncertainty: Uncertainty regarding the future path of the economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 429-439.
- Kym Anderson & Ernesto Valenzuela, 2007.
"Do Global Trade Distortions Still Harm Developing Country Farmers?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer,
Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 108-139, April.
- Anderson, Kym & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2005. "Do Global Trade Distortions Still Harm Developing Country Farmers?," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 5337, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Kym & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2006. "Do global trade distortions still harm developing country farmers ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 3901, The World Bank.
- Surabhi Mittal, 2007. "OECD Agricultural Trade Reforms Impact on India's Prices and Producers Welfare," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India 195, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- repec:laf:wpaper:201106 is not listed on IDEAS
- Verma, Monika & Hertel, Thomas W., 2009.
"Commodity Price Volatility and Nutrition Vulnerability,"
2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
49344, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Verma, Monika & Hertel, Thomas W., 2009. "Commodity price volatility and nutrition vulnerability:," IFPRI discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 895, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Delphine Boutin, 2011. "D’une crise à l’autre : Mesurer l’impact des prix alimentaires sur la pauvreté," Larefi Working Papers, Larefi, UniversitÃ© Bordeaux 4 1106, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- Kym Anderson & Ernesto Valenzuela & Lee Ann Jackson, 2007. "Recent and Prospective Adoption of Genetically Modified Cotton: A Global CGE Analysis of Economic Impacts," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies 2007-07, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Surabhi Mittal, 2007. "Oecd Agricultural Trade Reforms Impact On IndiaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Prices And Producers Welfare," Trade Working Papers 22225, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Delphine Boutin, 2011. "D'une crise à l'autre : mesurer l'impact des prix alimentaires sur la pauvreté," Working Papers, HAL hal-00637608, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeremy Douglas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.