A New Regional Household Demand System for GTAP
AbstractThe GTAP Model, versions 4.1 and lower, suffers from some defects in the implementation of the regional household demand system. Most seriously, the upper level of the demand system assumes that each regional household faces a fixed price for utility from private consumption. But with a private consumption demand system of the CDE form, the price of utility from private consumption depends on the level of private consumption expenditure. With no fixed price for utility from private consumption, the familiar Cobb-Douglas demand system does not apply. Accordingly, the upper-level demand equations are in error. Furthermore, utility and equivalent variation are wrongly computed in simulations with non-standard settings for the CDE expansion parameters. Even with the standard settings, in multi-step simulations the utility and equivalent variation computations are inexact. The welfare decomposition inherits the defects of the equivalent variation computation. In removing these defects we revise in passing some minor misfeatures of the old treatment: Firstly, we treat the entire final demand system as the demand system of a representative household, rather than a conglomeration of representative and region-wide demand systems (subsection 2.6). Secondly, we provide a new facility for shifting the allocation of regional income exogenously by modifying rather than overriding the final demand system (subsection 2.14). Finally, we eliminate an uninterpretable \nuisance term" from the decomposition of equivalent variation (subsection 4.3).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University in its series GTAP Technical Papers with number 942.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Note: GTAP Technical Paper No. 20
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145
Phone: (765) 494-4267
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2002-11-04 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xiao-guang Zhang & George Verikios, 2006.
"Providing Duty-Free Access to Australian Markets for Least-Developed COuntries: a General Equilibrium Analysis,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
06-09, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Xiao-guang Zhang & George Verikios, 2007. "Providing Duty-Free Access to Australian Markets for Least-Developed Countries: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(3), pages 239-252, 09.
- Wei Bin Zhang, 2008. "A multi-region economic growth model with migration, housing and regional amenity," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 55, pages 322-350, November.
- Ken Itakura, . "Calibrating the Mix of Electric Power Generation Types," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Lips, Markus, 2005. "Sufficient nourishment worldwide via transfer payments," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 81-96, February.
- Joseph Francois & Miriam Manchin & Hanna Norberg & Olga Pindyuk & Patrick Tomberger, 2013. "Reducing Transatlantic Barriers to Trade and Investment: An Economic Assessment," IIDE Discussion Papers 20130401, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Hertel, Thomas & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2003.
"How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?,"
GTAP Working Papers
1324, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas & Hummels, David & Ivanic, Maros & Keeney, Roman, 2007. "How confident can we be of CGE-based assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 611-635, July.
- Thomas Hertel & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2004. "How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," NBER Working Papers 10477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Narayanan, Badri G. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Horridge, J. Mark, 2010.
"Disaggregated data and trade policy analysis: The value of linking partial and general equilibrium models,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 755-766, May.
- Narayanan, Badri & Hertel, Thomas & Horridge, Mark, 2009. "Disaggregated Data and Trade Policy Analysis: The Value of Linking Partial and General Equilibrium Models," GTAP Working Papers 3162, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Oyewumi, Olubukola Ayodeju & Jooste, Andre & Britz, Wolfgang & van Schalkwyk, Herman D., 2007. "Tariff and Tariff Rate Quota Liberalization in the South African Livestock Industry: Approaches to Welfare Measurement," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(1), March.
- Richard Tol & Stefano F Verde, 2013. "Fiscal limits on first-best climate policy: A CGE analysis for Europe," Working Paper Series 5813, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Philippidis, George & Hubbard, Lionel J. & Renwick, Alan W., 2006. "A CGE Analysis of the Harbinson Proposal: Outcomes for the EU25," Working Papers 45992, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- Naohiko Yahaba, 2010. "How Does A Decrease In Oil Production Affect The World Economy?," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 388, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Kowal, Paweł, 2006. "On nesting nonhomothetic preferences," MPRA Paper 931, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ken Itakura, 2011. "The Economic Consequences of Shifting Away From Nuclear Energy," Working Papers PB-2011-04, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Naohiko Yahaba, 2010. "How does a decrease in oil production affect the world's economy?," Energy Working Papers 22722, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ricardo Arguello, 2004. "An exporatory assessment of the potential impact of the free trade area of the americas on the andean community," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 004332, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Birur, Dileep K. & Beach, Robert H., 2011. "Analyzing Trade Implications Of U.S. Biofuels Policies In A General Equilibrium Framework," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103996, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ginger Batta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.