Can the Danish model of “flexicurity” be a matrix for the reform of European labour markets?
AbstractDuring the last years, there has been a growing interest for the Danish “flexicurity” system all over Europe. Following the European Commission, the subtle combination of flexibility and security chosen by the Danes would even be a matrix of inspiration for the reform of the European labour markets. This paper analyses the core elements of the Danish “model” to determine whether these views are relevant. The flexible labour market, the generous welfare system, and the active labour market policy are examined. We focus on the 1993 labour market reform, which is supposed to have triggered the remarkable decrease of unemployment that took place in Denmark since 1994.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales in its series Cahiers du GRES with number 2006-18.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Flexicurity; unemployment; labour market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J40 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - General
- J48 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Particular Labor Markets; Public Policy
- J50 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - General
- J80 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Standards - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-09-23 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2006-09-23 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bukowski, Maciej & Lewandowski, Piotr & Koloch, Grzegorz & Baranowska, Anna & Magda, Iga & Szydlowski, Arkadiusz & Bober, Magda & Bieliński, Jacek & Zawistowski, Julian & Sarzalska, Malgorzata, 2008. "Employment in Poland 2007: Security on flexible labour market," MPRA Paper 14284, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.