New Evidence on the Pricing and Performance of Initial Public Offerings in Thailand: 1997-2008
AbstractThis paper examines the pricing and performance of initial public offerings (IPOs) on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) from 1997 to 2008. Underpricing is calculated using headline underpricing and underpricing issuer loss, loss by market value, and loss by issuer price. The results show underpricing of 17.60%, 5.01%, 6.94%, 6.68% and 16.10%, respectively. This is significantly lower underpricing than documented in Thailand before the 1997 Asian financial crisis. Post-listing performance is assessed using monthly cumulative abnormal returns, buy-and-hold returns, and wealth relatives. The findings show that Thai IPOs generally outperform market benchmarks up to 24 months and underperform thereafter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics in its series Discussion Papers in Finance with number finance:200913.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Nathan, Brisbane, Queensland, 4111
Phone: (07) 3875-5364
Fax: (07) 3875-7750
Web page: http://www.griffith.edu.au/business-commerce/griffith-business-school/departments/department-accounting-finance-economics
More information through EDIRC
Initial public offerings; Underpricing; Abnormal returns;
Other versions of this item:
- Chorruk, Jirapun & Worthington, Andrew C., 2010. "New evidence on the pricing and performance of initial public offerings in Thailand, 1997-2008," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 285-299, September.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- da Silva Rosa, Ray & Velayuthen, Gerard & Walter, Terry, 2003. "The sharemarket performance of Australian venture capital-backed and non-venture capital-backed IPOs," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 197-218, April.
- D. E. Allen & N. J. Morkel-Kingsbury & W. Piboonthanakiat, 1999. "The long-run performance of initial public offerings in Thailand," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 215-232.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Australian IPO pricing in the short and long run," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1189-1210, August.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2004. "Initial Public Offerings in Australia 1994 to 1999, Recent Evidence of Underpricing and Underperformance," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 179-198, 05.
- Agathee, Ushad Subadar & Sannassee, Raja Vinesh & Brooks, Chris, 2012. "The underpricing of IPOs on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 281-303.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Alexandr Akimov).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.