From Goal Orientations to Employee Creativity and Performance: Evidence from Frontline Service Employees
AbstractThe authors examine the antecedents of employee creativity and performance in a frontline service setting. They propose a framework that depicts the relationships between goal orientations and employee creativity and performance, including the intervening effects of self-efficacy and customer orientation. The empirical results, based on a sample of 267 bank employees, are broadly supportive of the hypotheses. Learning orientation is directly and indirectly related to creativity, but only indirectly to performance, through self-efficacy, customer orientation and creativity. As to performance orientation, it is indirectly related to creativity through self-efficacy and customer orientation, and directly as well as indirectly, to performance. Overall, these results underscore the need for managers to foster both goal orientations to promote the creativity and performance of employees.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra in its series GEMF Working Papers with number 2011-08.
Length: 61 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: +351 239 403511
Web page: http://gemf.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
creativity; goal orientations; services; frontline employees; structural model.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executive Compensation
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, Eli & Busch, Paul & Dacin, Peter, 2003. "Firm market orientation and salesperson customer orientation: interpersonal and intrapersonal influences on customer service and retention in business-to-business buyer-seller relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 323-340, April.
- Button, Scott B. & Mathieu, John E. & Zajac, Dennis M., 1996. "Goal Orientation in Organizational Research: A Conceptual and Empirical Foundation," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 26-48, July.
- Harris, Eric G. & Artis, Andrew B. & Walters, Jack H. & Licata, Jane W., 2006. "Role stressors, service worker job resourcefulness, and job outcomes: An empirical analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 407-415, April.
- Thakor, Mrugank V. & Joshi, Ashwin W., 2005. "Motivating salesperson customer orientation: insights from the job characteristics model," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 584-592, May.
- Rajdeep Grewal & Murali Chandrashekaran & F. Robert Dwyer, 2008. "Navigating Local Environments with Global Strategies: A Contingency Model of Multinational Subsidiary Performance," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(5), pages 886-902, 09-10.
- Wang, Guangping & Netemeyer, Richard G., 2004. "Salesperson creative performance: conceptualization, measurement, and nomological validity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(8), pages 805-812, August.
- Kleijnen, Mirella & Ruyter, Ko de & Wetzels, Martin, 2007. "An assessment of value creation in mobile service delivery and the moderating role of time consciousness," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-22996, Maastricht University.
- Constantine S Katsikeas & Dionysis Skarmeas & Daniel C Bello, 2009. "Developing successful trust-based international exchange relationships," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 132-155, January.
- Cynthia Lee & Chun Hui & Catherine H Tinsley & Xiongying Niu, 2006. "Goal orientations and performance: role of temporal norms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 484-498, July.
- McQuitty, Shaun, 2004. "Statistical power and structural equation models in business research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 175-183, February.
- Redmond, Matthew R. & Mumford, Michael D. & Teach, Richard, 1993. "Putting Creativity to Work: Effects of Leader Behavior on Subordinate Creativity," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 120-151, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.