Microstructure order flow: statistical and economic evaluation of nonlinear forecasts
AbstractIn this paper we propose a novel empirical extension of the standard market microstructure order flow model. The main idea is that heterogeneity of beliefs in the foreign exchange market can cause model instability and such instability has not been fully accounted for in the existing empirical literature. We investigate this issue using two different data sets and focusing on out- of-sample forecasts. Forecasting power is measured using standard statistical tests and, additionally, using an alternative approach based on measuring the economic value of forecasts after building a portfolio of assets. We nd there is a substantial economic value on conditioning on the proposed models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow in its series Working Papers with number 2010_30.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
microstructure; order flow; forecasting;
Other versions of this item:
- Cerrato, Mario & Kim, Hyunsok & MacDonald, Ronald, 2010. "Microstructure Order Flow: Statistical and Economic Evaluation of Nonlinear Forecasts," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-107, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-FOR-2011-01-16 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MIC-2011-01-16 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MST-2011-01-16 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Della Corte, Pasquale & Sarno, Lucio & Tsiakas, Ilias, 2007.
"An Economic Evaluation of Empirical Exchange Rate Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pasquale Della Corte & Lucio Sarno & Ilias Tsiakas, 2009. "An Economic Evaluation of Empirical Exchange Rate Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3491-3530, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeanette Findlay).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.