Preferential Trade Liberalization and the Range of Exported Products: The Case of the Euro-Mediterranean FTA
AbstractThe paper investigates how Preferential Trade Agreements (PTAs) affect the range of goods exported by a nation. We use the Melitz model and highly dis-aggregated data on Euro-Mediterranean trade to measure the effect of preferential trade liberalization on the range of traded products. By focusing on the zeros in the trade matrix, the paper finds evidence that at the time when the Euro-Mediterranean FTA started there was an expansion in the range of products traded by its members.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies in its series IHEID Working Papers with number 18-2006.
Date of creation: 09 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
International Economics; Melitz model; Trade policy; development; developing countries; new goods; Euro-Med; Mediterranean; European Union; Euro-Mediterranean FTA; trade matrix; range exported products; FTA; preferential trade liberalization; zeros;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-11-25 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2006-11-25 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin, 2005. "Heterogeneous Firms and Trade: Testable and Untestable Properties of the Melitz Model," NBER Working Papers 11471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Paul Krugman, 1987. "Market Structure and Foreign Trade: Increasing Returns, Imperfect Competition, and the International Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258087x, December.
- repec:rus:hseeco:122439 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2006. "Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_022, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Patricia Augier & Michael Gasiorek & Charles Lai-Tong, 2004. "Rules of Origin and the EU-Med Partnership: The Case of Textiles," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(9), pages 1449-1473, 09.
- Christodoulopoulou, Styliani, 2010. "THE Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on the Extensive and the Intensive Margins of Trade," MPRA Paper 29169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Persson, Maria, 2012.
"From trade preferences to trade facilitation: Taking stock of the issues,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(17), pages 1-33.
- Persson, Maria, 2011. "From trade preferences to trade facilitation: Taking stock of the issues," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-23, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bourdet, Yves & Persson, Maria, 2011.
"Reaping the Benefits of Deeper Euro-Med Integration Through Trade Facilitation,"
2011:15, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bourdet, Yves & Persson, Maria, 2011. "Reaping the Benefits of Deeper Euro-Med Integration Through Trade Facilitation," Working Paper Series 881, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Agostino, Maria Rosaria & Aiello, Francesco & Cardamone, Paola, 2007. "Analyzing the Impact of Trade Preferences in Gravity Models. Does Aggregation Matter?," Working Papers 7294, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Persson, Maria & Wilhelmsson, Fredrik, 2013.
"EU Trade Preferences and Export Diversification,"
Working Paper Series
991, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Cipollina, Maria & Salvatici, Luca, 2007. "EU and developing countries: an analysis of preferential margins on agricultural trade flows," Working Papers 7219, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Cardamone, Paola, 2007.
"A Survey of the Assessments of the Effectiveness of Preferential Trade Agreements using Gravity Models,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 60(4), pages 421-473.
- Cardamone, Paola, 2007. "A survey of the assessments of the effectiveness of Preferential Trade Agreements using gravity models," Working Papers 7282, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Elisa Gamberoni, 2007. "Do unilateral trade preferences help export diversification? An investigation of the impact of European unilateral trade preferences on the extensive and intensive margin of trade," IHEID Working Papers 17-2007, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Amurgo-Pacheco, Alberto & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2008.
"Patterns of export diversification in developing countries : intensive and extensive margins,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4473, The World Bank.
- Alberto Amurgo-Pacheco, Martha Denisse Pierola, 2007. "Patterns of export diversification in developing countries: intensive and extensive margins," IHEID Working Papers 20-2007, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Jul 2007.
- Hossein Pirasteh & Mohammad Sayadi & Mohammad saghafi, 2009. "Economic Growth and Stability in the Euro-Med Region: Concentration or Diversification?," Iranian Economic Review, Economics faculty of Tehran university, vol. 14(1), pages 105-130, spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johannes Eugster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.