Are Capital Taxes Racing to the Bottom in the European Union?
AbstractThis paper tests the central predictions of the theoretical tax competition literature for capital tax rates for a panel of European Union countries, notably a race to the bottom in capital tax rates. One measure of capital mobility is found to exhibit a downward pressure on capital taxes while another measure shows a positive correlation. Empirical tests imply that the latter positive relationship may be caused by neglecting to control for the agglomeration forces linked with capital mobility. If this is indeed the case, the results lend strong empirical support to the hypothesis of a downward pressure on capital tax rates in absolute terms and relative to labor taxes, but add to this that agglomeration forces mitigate, and might even outweigh the race to the bottom effect of increasing capital mobility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies in its series IHEID Working Papers with number 01-2003.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Tax competition; Capital taxation; European financial integration; Capital mobility;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-03-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2003-03-03 (European Economics)
- NEP-POL-2003-03-03 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Volkerink, BjÃ¸rn & Haan, Jakob de, 1999. "Political and institutional determinants of the tax mix : an empirical investigation for OECD countries," Research Report 99E05, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Volkerink, BjÃ¸rn & Haan, Jacob de, 2000. "Fragmented government effects on fiscal policy: new evidence," CCSO Working Papers 200006, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- HINDRIKS, Jean & PERALTA, Susana & WEBER, Shlomo, 2005.
"Fiscal competition, revenue sharing, and policy-induced agglomeration,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2005093, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean, HINDRIKS & Susana , PERALTA & Sholmo , WEBER, 2005. "Fiscal competition, revenue sharing, and policy-induced agglomeration," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005062, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Oeffner, Marc, 2005. "Die Duale Einkommensteuer des Sachverständigenrates in der Diskussion," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 59, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Hansson, Åsa & Olofsdotter, Karin, 2005. "Integration and Tax Competition: An Empirical Study of OECD Countries," Working Papers 2005:4, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 09 Feb 2005.
- HINDRIKS, Jean & PERALTA, Susana & WEBER, Shlomo, 2013.
"Local taxation of global corporation: a simple solution,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2013011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hindriks, Jean J.G. & Peralta, Susana & Weber, Shlomo, 2013. "Local taxation of global corporations: a simple solution," CEPR Discussion Papers 9350, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Axel Dreher, 2003.
"The Influence of Globalization on Taxes and Social Policy – an Empirical Analysis for OECD Countries,"
0310002, EconWPA, revised 27 Feb 2004.
- Dreher, Axel, 2006. "The influence of globalization on taxes and social policy: An empirical analysis for OECD countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 179-201, March.
- Axel Dreher, 2003. "The Influence of globalization on taxes and social policy - an empirical enalysis for OECD countries," Discussion Papers 0301, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Antonio Sciala' & Paolo Liberati, 2008. "The impact of economic openness on the vertical structure of the public sector," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0085, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Krogstrup, Signe, 2002. "Public debt asymmetries: the effect on taxes and spending in the European Union," Working Paper Series 0162, European Central Bank.
- Paolo Liberati & Antonio Sciala, 2011. "How economic integration affects the vertical structure of the public sector," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 385-402, December.
- Marco CATENARO & Jean-Pierre VIDAL, 2006. "Implicit tax co-ordination under repeated policy interactions," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2006011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Libman, Alexander, 2005. "Взаимодействие Государственных И Частных Структур В Интеграционных Группировах: Теоретические Подходы И Оп," MPRA Paper 17044, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johannes Eugster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.