Market Participation and Sunspot Equilibria
AbstractThe authors investigate the structure of competitive equilibria in an exchange economy parametrized by endowments and restrictions on market participation. For arbitrary regular endowments, if few consumers are restricted, there are no sunspot equilibria. If endowments are allowed to vary, while restrictions on market participation are fixed, there is a generic set of preferences such that sunspot equilibria exist for a nonempty subset of endowments. The authors' analysis extends to the general case of an arbitrary number of restricted consumers the results of D. Cass and K. Shell (1983) for the polar cases in which either no consumers are restricted or all consumers are restricted. Copyright 1995 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève in its series Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva with number 88.03.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 40 Boulevard du Pont-d'Arve, CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Phone: +41 22 379 8263
Fax: +41 22 379 82 93
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/gsem/dsec/index.html
market ; models ; trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Yves Balasko & David Cass & Karl Shell, 1990. "Market Participation and Sunspot Equilibria," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 90.03, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Ghiglino & Mich Tvede, .
"Multiplicity of Equilibria,"
Penn CARESS Working Papers
50405ce7ef76383c40f86868c, Penn Economics Department.
- Christian Ghiglino & Mich Tvede, . ""Multiplicity of Equilibria''," CARESS Working Papres 96-01, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Christian Ghiglino & Mich Tvede, 1996. "Multiplicity of Equilibria," Discussion Papers 96-17, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Helios Herrera, 2001. "Participation Externalities and Asset Price Volatility," Levine's Working Paper Archive 625018000000000242, David K. Levine.
- Deneckere,R. & Peck,J., 1998. "Demand uncertainty, endogenous timing and costly waiting : jumping the gun in competitive markets," Working papers 22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- de Clippel, Geoffroy, 2007.
"The type-agent core for exchange economies with asymmetric information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 144-158, July.
- Geoffroy de Clippel, 2004. "The Type-Agent Core for Exchange Economies with Asymmetric Information," Working Papers 2004-18, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Yves Balasko, 1995.
"Equilibrium Analysis of the Infinite Horizon Model with Smooth Discounted Utility Functions,"
Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva
95.04, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Balasko, Yves, 1997. "Equilibrium analysis of the infinite horizon model with smooth discounted utility functions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 783-829, May.
- Balasko, Yves, 2012. "On the stability of nonsunspot equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 526-544.
- Fernando Alvarez & Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2000.
"Money, Interest Rates, and Exchange Rates with Endogenously Segmented Asset Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernando Alvarez & Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2000. "Money, interest rates, and exchange rates with endogenously segmented asset markets," Working Papers 605, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Edouard Challe, 2005. "Endogenous Participation Rick in Speculative Markets," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 90, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Guzman, Mark G. & Shell, Karl, 2009.
"Price Level Volatility: A Simple Model of Money Taxes and Sunspots,"
Staff General Research Papers
5167, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Guzman, Mark G. & Shell, Karl, 1998. "Price Level Volatility: A Simple Model of Money Taxes and Sunspots," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 401-430, August.
- Balasko, Yves, 1997. "Pareto optima, welfare weights, and smooth equilibrium analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 473-503.
- Aditya Goenka, 2004. "Non-Fungibility and Mental Accounting: A Model of Bounded Rationality with Sunspot," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 234, Econometric Society.
- Aditya Goenka & Stefano Matta, 2008. "Manipulation of endowments and sunspot equilibria," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 267-282, August.
- Balasko, Yves & Geanakoplos, John, 2012. "Introduction to general equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 400-406.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.