Demand for Football and Intra-Match Winning Probability: an Essay on the Glorious Uncertainty of Sports
AbstractThe aims of this study are (i) to identify the main determinants of the demand for French Premiere Division football matches using all matches played during the 1997/1998 season, (ii) to estimate a team-specific probability of success, and (iii) to propose an updating process for the intra-match winning probability.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève in its series Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva with number 2000.15.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 40 Boulevard du Pont-d'Arve, CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Phone: +41 22 379 8263
Fax: +41 22 379 82 93
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/gsem/dsec/index.html
RISK ; UNCERTAINTY ; SPORTS;
Other versions of this item:
- Jean-Marc Falter & Christophe Perignon, 2000. "Demand for football and intramatch winning probability: an essay on the glorious uncertainty of sports," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(13), pages 1757-1765.
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007.
"The Role of Patriotism in Explaining TV Audience of National Team Games - Evidence from Four International Tournaments,"
0065, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007. "The Role of Patriotism in Explaining TV Audience of National Team Games - Evidence from Four International Tournaments," Working Papers 0014, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA).
- Yusuf Emre Akgunduz & Marcel van den Berg, 2013. "Make or buy? Human capital accumulation strategies in European club football," Working Papers 13-17, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Wladimir Andreff, 2014. "Building Blocks for a Disequilibrium Model of a European Team Sports League," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00971782, HAL.
- Papahristodoulou, Christos, 2007. "An analysis of Champions League match statistics," MPRA Paper 3605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caruso Raul & Di Domizio Marco, 2013. "Hooliganism and demand for football in Italy: Attendance and counter-violence policy evaluation," wp.comunite 0101, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Leif Brandes & Egon Franck & Stephan Nuesch, 2006.
"Local Heroes and Superstars - An Empirical Analysis of Star Attraction in German Soccer,"
0007, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2007.
- Leif Brandes & Egon Franck & Stephan Nuesch, 2006. "Local Heroes and Superstars - An Empirical Analysis of Star Attraction in German Soccer," Working Papers 0046, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2007.
- Barajas, Angel & Crolley, Liz, 2005. "A model to explain support in Spanish football," MPRA Paper 3235, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kevin Alavy & Alison Gaskell & Stephanie Leach & Stefan Szymanski, 2010.
"On the Edge of Your Seat: Demand for Football on Television and the Uncertainty of Outcome Hypothesis,"
International Journal of Sport Finance,
Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(2), pages 75-95, May.
- Kevin Alavy & Alison Gaskell & Stephanie Leach & Stefan Szymanski, 2006. "On the Edge of Your Seat: Demand for Football on Television and the Uncertainty of Outcome Hypothesis," Working Papers 0631, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Barajas, Angel, 2004.
"Modelo de valoración de clubes de fútbol basado en los factores clave de su negocio
[Valuation model for football clubs based on the key factors of their business]," MPRA Paper 13158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P. Dorian Owen, 2013. "Measurement of Competitive Balance and Uncertainty of Outcome," Working Papers 1311, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2013.
- Drayer, Joris & Rascher, Daniel A. & McEvoy, Chad D., 2012. "An examination of underlying consumer demand and sport pricing using secondary market data," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 448-460.
- Drayer, Joris & Shapiro, Stephen L., 2011. "An examination into the factors that influence consumers’ perceptions of value," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 389-398.
- Raul Caruso & Marco Di Domizio, 2012. "Domanda Di Calcio E Violenza Negli Stadi: Un’Analisi Panel Sulla Serie A," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 8(2), pages 41-66, settembre.
- Rottmann, Horst & Seitz, Franz, 2006. "Warum gehen die Leute in die Fußballstadien? Eine empirische Analyse der Fußball-Bundesliga," OTH im Dialog: Weidener Diskussionspapiere 1, University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden (OTH).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.