The role of trade in intra-industry productivity growth - the case of old and new European Union countries (1995-2007)
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to evaluate the role of trade in productivity growth in a sample of 30 sectors in 25 EU countries in the period of rapid East-West integration. Shift-share analysis is used to show that changes in value added per hour worked in these countries appear to be mainly due to positive developments (rising productivity) within single industries and only to a lower extent result from a shift towards higher productivity activities. Trade is found to be an important positive determinant of intra-industry productivity growth in European countries. Exports and imports alike can be associated with efficiency gains, but intermediate good exchange and trade with New Member States exert a particularly strong influence on intra-industry productivity growth in the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology in its series GUT FME Working Paper Series A with number 1.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
productivity; trade; shift share analysis; European Union;
Other versions of this item:
- Aleksandra Parteka, 2013. "The Role of Trade in Intra-Industry Productivity Growth—the Case of Old and New European Union Countries," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 712-731, November.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-03-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-EUR-2013-03-16 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INT-2013-03-16 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2013-03-16 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alcala, Francisco & Ciccone, Antonio, 2001.
"Trade and Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Alcalá & Antonio Ciccone, 2001. "Trade and productivity," Economics Working Papers 580, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2002.
- Francisco Alcalá & Antonio Ciccone, 2003. "Trade and Productivity," Working Papers 12, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Alberto F. Ades & Edward L. Glaeser, 1999.
"Evidence On Growth, Increasing Returns, And The Extent Of The Market,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 1025-1045, August.
- Alberto F. Ades & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994. "Evidence on Growth, Increasing Returns and the Extent of the Market," NBER Working Papers 4714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Natalie & Imbs, Jean & Scott, Andrew, 2009.
"The dynamics of trade and competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 50-62, February.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Andrew Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen & Stephen Redding & Peter Schott, 2007.
"Firms in International Trade,"
07-14, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen & Stephen J. Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2007. "Firms in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 13054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen & Stephen Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2007. "Firms in International Trade," CEP Discussion Papers dp0795, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bernard, Andrew & Jensen, J Bradford & Redding, Stephen J & Schott, Peter, 2007. "Firms in International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 6277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Balestra, Pietro & Varadharajan-Krishnakumar, Jayalakshmi, 1987. "Full Information Estimations of a System of Simultaneous Equations with Error Component Structure," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 223-246, April.
- Martin Bijsterbosch & Marcin Kolasa, 2010.
"FDI and productivity convergence in Central and Eastern Europe: an industry-level investigation,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 145(4), pages 689-712, January.
- Bijsterbosch, Martin & Kolasa, Marcin, 2009. "FDI and productivity convergence in central and eastern Europe: an industry-level investigation," Working Paper Series 0992, European Central Bank.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999.
"Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output per Worker than Others?,"
NBER Working Papers
6564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999. "Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output Per Worker Than Others?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 83-116, February.
- Andrei A. Levchenko & Julian di Giovanni, 2008.
"Trade Openness and Volatility,"
IMF Working Papers
08/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2013.
"The Impact of Trade Integration with the European Union on Productivity in a Posttransition Economy: The Case of Polish Manufacturing Sectors,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(2), pages 84-104, March.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2011. "Market Size, Competitiveness and Technological Frontier - the Impact of Trade Integration with the UE on Productivity in Polish Manufacturing Sectors," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 82, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2012. "The Impact of Trade Integration with the EU on Porductivity in a Post-Transition Economy. The Case of Polish Manufacturing Sectors," Working Papers 1202, Instytut Rozwoju, Institute for Development.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Development Working Papers
201, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1981. "Simultaneous equations with error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 189-200, November.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The Log of Gravity,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Peneder, Michael, 2003.
"Industrial structure and aggregate growth,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 427-448, December.
- Benhabib, Jess & Spiegel, Mark M., 1994. "The role of human capital in economic development evidence from aggregate cross-country data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-173, October.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F374-F403, 06.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Samuel, 2001.
"Technology, trade, and growth: A unified framework,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 742-755, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2001. "Technology, Trade, and Growth: A Unified Fremework," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-110, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Cameron, Gavin & Proudman, James & Redding, Stephen, 2005. "Technological convergence, R&D, trade and productivity growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 775-807, April.
- Margit Molnár & Nigel Pain & Daria Taglioni, 2007. "The Internationalisation of Production, International Outsourcing and Employment in the OECD," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 561, OECD Publishing.
- Bart van Ark & Mary O'Mahoney & Marcel P. Timmer, 2008. "The Productivity Gap between Europe and the United States: Trends and Causes," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 25-44, Winter.
- P. J. Dawson & L. J. Hubbard, 2004. "Exports and economic growth in Central and East European countries during transition," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(16), pages 1819-1824.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, José Manuel & Serrano, Lorenzo, 2008. "Explaining the US-EU productivity growth gap: Structural change vs. intra-sectoral effect," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 311-313, August.
- repec:fth:bosecd:110 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timmer, Marcel P. & Szirmai, Adam, 2000. "Productivity growth in Asian manufacturing: the structural bonus hypothesis examined," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 371-392, December.
- Mc Morrow, Kieran & Röger, Werner & Turrini, Alessandro, 2010. "Determinants of TFP growth: A close look at industries driving the EU-US TFP gap," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 165-180, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wojciech Drapinski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.