Bias Correction of KPSS Test with Structural Break for Reducing of Size Distortion
AbstractIn this paper we extend the stationarity test proposed by Kurozumi and Tanaka (2010) to reduce size distortion with one structural break in data generating process. We nd the bias up to the order of 1=T for four types of models containing structural breaks. Simulations on fininite samples show a decrease of size distortions relative to other tests, thus receiving higher power.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy in its series Working Papers with number 0043.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision: 2013
Stationarity tests; KPSS test; bias correction; size distortion; structural break.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-12-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-12-10 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fabio Busetti & Andrew C Harvey, 1998. "Testing for the Presence of a Random Walk in Series with Structural Breaks - (Now published in Journal of Time Series Analysis, 22 (2001), pp.127-150.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1998/365, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Josep Carrion-i-Silvestre & Andreu Sansó, 2006. "A guide to the computation of stationarity tests," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 433-448, June.
- David I. Harvey & Terence C. Mills, 2003. "A Note On Busetti-Harvey Tests For Stationarity In Series With Structural Breaks," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 159-164, 03.
- Josep Carrion-i-Silvestre & Andreu Sansó, 2007.
"The KPSS test with two structural breaks,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 105-127, June.
- Perron, Pierre & Zhu, Xiaokang, 2005. "Structural breaks with deterministic and stochastic trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 65-119.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Chi-Young Choi & Donggyu Sul, 2004.
"Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm426, Yale School of Management.
- Eiji Kurozumi & Shinya Tanaka, 2010.
"Reducing the size distortion of the KPSS test,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 415-426, November.
- Kurozumi, Eiji, 2002. "Testing for stationarity with a break," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 63-99, May.
- Fabio Busetti & Andrew Harvey, 2003. "Further Comments On Stationarity Tests In Series With Structural Breaks At Unknown Points," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 137-140, 03.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark Strazicich, 2001. "Testing the null of stationarity in the presence of a structural break," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 377-382.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Hugues).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.