The benefits of rural roads. Enhancing income opportunities for the rural poor
AbstractMost studies have measured the benefits of rehabilitated rural roads by focusing on reductions in monetary or time costs needed to access product and factor markets or key public social services. This paper complements these studies by evaluating their impact on key welfare indicators such as income or consumption. Looking at rural households living in some of the poorest districts of Peru, this study compares (using propensity score matching techniques) households located near rehabilitated roads to suitable controls. Results show that rehabilitated road accessibility can be related to changes in income sources, as the rehabilitated road enhances non-agricultural income opportunities, especially from wage-employment sources. The study also finds that income expansion is not been matched by an equivalent consumption increase; apparently because the additional income is allocated to savings, through increments in livestock, most likely because road quality improvement is being perceived as transitory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE) in its series Documentos de Investigación with number dt40b.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Documento de trabajo, 40-I
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Graú 915, Barranco
Phone: (511) 247-1854
Fax: (511) 247-1854
Web page: http://www.grade.org.pe/
More information through EDIRC
Carreteras; Ingresos de hogares; Empleo; Zonas rurales; Roads; Household income; Employment Rural areas; Peru;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- P25 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
- J17 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Value of Life; Foregone Income
- R2 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2003-03-19 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2003-03-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2003-03-19 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian K.M. Kingombe and Salvatore di Falco, 2012. "The Impact of a Feeder Road Project on Cash Crop Production in Zambia’s Eastern Province between 1997 and 2002," IHEID Working Papers 04-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 28 Feb 2012.
- Antonio Estache, 2010. "A survey of impact evaluations of infrastructure projects, programs and policies," Working Papers ECARES 2010_005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Schürenberg-Frosch, Hannah, 2012. "Determinants of transport costs: Are they uniform across countries?," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-54, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2008.
"Distributive impact of structural change: does environmental degradation matter?,"
Working Papers Series
wp2008_07.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Antoci, Angelo & Russu, Paolo & Ticci, Elisa, 2009. "Distributive impact of structural change: Does environmental degradation matter?," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 266-278, December.
- Mu, Ren & van de Walle, Dominique, 2007. "Rural roads and poor area development in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4340, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2004. "Chile - Rural Infrastructure in Chile : Enhancing Efficiency and Sustainability," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14371, The World Bank.
- Wiig, Henrik, 2003. "The Productivity of Social Capital - An Econometric Analysis of 49 Peruvian Highland Communities," Memorandum 27/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Qin, Yu & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2012. "The road to specialization in agricultural production:: Evidence from rural China," IFPRI discussion papers 1221, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- World Bank, 2007. "China's Expressways : Connecting People and Markets for Equitable Development," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7933, The World Bank.
- Alberto Zezza & Paul Winters & Benjamin Davis & Gero Carletto & Katia Covarrubias & Esteban Quinones & Kostas Stamoulis & Takis Karfakis & Luca Tasciotti & Stefania DiGiuseppe & Genny Bonomi, 2007.
"Rural Household Access to Assets and Agrarian Institutions; A Cross Country Comparison,"
07-17, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Zezza, Alberto & Winters, Paul C. & Davis, Benjamin & Carletto, Calogero & Covarrubias, Katia & Quinones, Esteban & Stamoulis, Kostas G. & Di Giuseppe, Stefania, 2007. "Rural Household Access to Assets and Agrarian Institutions: A Cross Country Comparison," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7925, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Laszlo, Sonia, 2008.
"Education, Labor Supply, and Market Development in Rural Peru,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2421-2439, November.
- Sonia Laszlo, 2003. "Education, Labour Supply and Market Development in Rural Peru," Development and Comp Systems 0312005, EconWPA.
- Schürenberg-Frosch, Hannah, 2011. "One model fits all? Determinants of transport costs across sectors and country groups," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 122, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- World Bank, 2008. "Improving the Management of Secondary and Tertiary Roads in the South East Europe Countries," World Bank Other Operational Studies 6213, The World Bank.
- Calderon, Cesar & Serven, Luis, 2008. "Infrastructure and economic development in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4712, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2006. "Making the New Indonesia Work for the Poor," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8172, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2008. "Improving the Management of Secondary and Tertiary Roads in the South East Europe Countries," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7786, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.