Keynesian and schumpeterian efficiency in a BOP-constrained growth model
AbstractThe paper aims to contribute to the debate on specialization and growth in two forms. Firstly, it develops a North-South model in which the ratio between the income elasticity of exports and imports in the South (that gives the rate of growth compatible with external equilibrium) depends on the Keynesian and Schumpeterian efficiency of the pattern of specialization, as defined by Dosi et al (1990). The model draws on key insights of the technology gap literature to discuss how these efficiencies are related to the dynamics of technological learning. Secondly, the model is tested including the variables Keynesian and Schumpeterian efficiency in a Keynesian growth regression. Several estimation procedures are used to test the model, among which Finite Mixture Estimation, which allows for estimating the parameters for homogenous groups of countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0104.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Creation Date corresponds to the year in which the paper was published on the Department of Economics website. The paper may have been written a small number of months before its publication date.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Prefeito Lothário Meissner, 632 - térreo, Bairro Jardim Botânico, 80210-170 Curitiba - PR
Web page: http://www.economiaetecnologia.ufpr.br/
More information through EDIRC
Schumpeterian efficiency; keynesian efficiency; balance-of-payments-constrained growth; Thirlwall's Law;
Other versions of this item:
- Eva Yamila da Silva Catela & Gabriel Porcile, 2012. "Keynesian and Schumpeterian efficiency in a BOP-constrained growth model," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 34(4), pages 777-802, July.
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2010-07-31 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-PKE-2010-07-31 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Carlos Moreno-Brid, 2003. "Capital Flows, Interest Payments and the Balance-of-Payments Constrained Growth Model: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2-3), pages 346-365, 05.
- Luis B�Rtola & Hermes Higachi & Gabriel Porcile, 2002. "Balance-of-payments-constrained growth in Brazil: a test of Thirlwall's Law, 1890-1973," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 123-140, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Nakabashi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.