Auto-seleção e aprendizado no comércio exterior das firmas industriais brasileiras
AbstractThis article looks for to carry through an integrated analysis of the auto-selection hypotheses and learning by exporting hypothesis, offering elements for the quarrel on the recent promotion of exportations policies. We use here Brazilian manufacturing firms data from 2000 to 2006, from the Escritoire of Foreign Trade (SECEX), Annual Relation of Social Information (RAIS), and of the Annual Industrial Research (PIA). Beyond the descriptive analysis on the observable firm´s characteristics, this work has an econometrical analysis on the persistence, and the permanence firm´s determinants on the exporting activity. Its main results indicate that hysteresis in the exporting activity is stronger in micron and small companies, being such main categories responsible for the entrance flows and the exit in the external market. Aftermath, it exists a clear relation between entrance value, persistence and permanence in the exporting activity. However, as it was possible to observe this relation is not only based on by the auto-selection arguments, but also for the arguments related to the hypothesis of learning by exportations, as long as we obtain evidences of differentiated paths for of productivity premium before, and later, to the entrance in the external market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0087.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Note: Creation Date corresponds to the year in which the paper was published on the Department of Economics website. The paper may have been written a small number of months before its publication date.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Prefeito Lothário Meissner, 632 - térreo, Bairro Jardim Botânico, 80210-170 Curitiba - PR
Web page: http://www.economiaetecnologia.ufpr.br/
More information through EDIRC
industrial exporters; self-selection; learning-by-exporting; productivity gains;
Other versions of this item:
- Sérgio Kannebley Júnior & Priscilla Luiz Alberto Esteves & Alexandre Messa Peixoto da Silva & Bruno César Araújo, 2009. "Auto-Seleção e Aprendizado no Comércio Exterior das Firmas Industriais Brasileiras," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 10(4), pages 715_740.
- Sérgio Kannebley Júnior & Luiz Alberto Esteves & Alexandre Messa Peixoto da Silva & Bruno César O. deAraújo, 2011. "Auto-seleçãoe aprendizado no comércio exterior das firmas industriaisbrasileiras," Anais do XXXVII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 37th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 156, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-31 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2003.
"Plants and Productivity in International Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1268-1290, September.
- Andrew B Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and productivity in international trade," Working Papers 00-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 105, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jenson & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 7688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo López, 2005. "Exporting and performance: evidence from Chilean plants," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1384-1400, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cruz, Marcio, 2014.
"Do export promotion agencies promote new exporters ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
7004, The World Bank.
- Marcio Cruz, 2014. "Do Export Promotion Agencies Promote New Exporters?," IDB Publications 85293, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Nakabashi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.