War, Hunger, and Displacement: An Econometric Investigation into the Sources of Humanitarian Emergencies
AbstractThis paper uses econometric methods and case-study evidence to examine the political economy of complex humanitarian emregencies, multidimensional crises characterized by warfare, state violence, disease, hunger, and displacement. We emphasize that economic variables often become salient through relative deprivation, the actors' perception of social injustice from a growing discrepancy between goods and conditions they expect and those they can get or keep.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economics Research in its series Research Paper with number 142.
Length: 86 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: United Nations University; World Institute for Development Economics Research, Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
WAR ; HUNGER ; ECONOMETRICS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baten, Joerg & Mumme, Christina, 2013. "Does inequality lead to civil wars? A global long-term study using anthropometric indicators (1816–1999)," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 56-79.
- Christopher Cramer, 2003. "Does inequality cause conflict?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 397-412.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.