Investing in Pastoralism: Sustainable Natural Resource Use in Arid Africa and the Middle East
AbstractThe World Bank has been supporting range livestock development since the 1960s, gaining experience that currently contributes to best practices in natural resource management (NRM) in pastoral areas. This report focuses on NRM in the arid rangelands used by pastoralists in Africa and the Middle East, offering guidelines for development. An introductory chapter on the nature of NRM is followed by advice on preparing for project intervention and by guidelines for specific project components. A concluding chapter considers the broader implications for international agencies, particularly the World Bank. Eight annexes provide additional background information and advice, as well as a user guide for practitioners.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Bank - Technical Papers in its series Papers with number 365.
Length: 159 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
AGRICULTURE ; RURAL ECONOMY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Moritz, Mark, 2008. "Competing Paradigms in Pastoral Development? A Perspective from the Far North of Cameroon," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2243-2254, November.
- Haro, Guyo O. & Doyo, Godana J. & McPeak, John G., 2005. "Linkages Between Community, Environmental, and Conflict Management: Experiences from Northern Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.