African Water Resources; Challenges and Opportunities for Sustainable Development
AbstractWater resources in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) have become a strategic commodity, with supply limited in terms of quantity and quality, and demand increasing due to population growth and economic development. The strategy developed in this document is based on the principle that water is a scarce good with dimensions of economic efficiency, social equity, and environmental sustainability. The strategy recommends an integrated, cross-sectoral, catchment area approach to water resources management in African countries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Bank - Technical Papers in its series Papers with number 331.
Length: 115 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
WATER; AFRICA; ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT; ENVIRONMENT;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yang, Hong & Zehnder, Alexander J. B., 2002. "Water Scarcity and Food Import: A Case Study for Southern Mediterranean Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1413-1430, August.
- World Bank, 2002. "Building a Sustainable Future : The Africa Region Environment Strategy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14262, October.
- Claudia W. Sadoff & Dale Whittington & David Grey, 2002. "Africa's International Rivers : An Economic Perspective," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15175, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.