Surveillance of Agricultural Price and Trade Policy in Latin America during Major Policy Reform
AbstractSince approximately 1990, most countries in Latin America have embarked on a unilateral process of trade liberalization for agricultural and non-agricultural products, effectively putting an end to four decades of import-substitution policies. Most countries adopted tariffication, with bound tariffs, eliminating quota restrictions and removing export taxes. This study examines how agricultural protection has changed since the reforms, what has happened with real farm prices during trade reform, and the present status regarding tariffs and quantitative restrictions in the various countries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Bank in its series World Bank - Discussion Papers with number 349.
Length: 66 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
AGRICULTURE ; TRADE ; COMMERCIAL POLICY ; LATIN AMERICA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Monteiro da Silva, Orlando & Grennes, Thomas, 1999. "Wheat policy and economy-wide reform in Brazil," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 143-157, March.
- Liefert, William M., 2006.
"Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Producer Prices,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25331, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- William M. Liefert, 2011. "Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Producer Prices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 119-136, 02.
- Tangermann, Stefan & Honma, Masayoshi & Josling, Timothy E. & Lee, Jaeok & MacLaren, Donald & McClatchy, Don & Miner, William M. & Pursell, Garry & Sumner, Daniel A. & Valdes, Alberto, 1997. "Implementation Of The Uruguay Round Agreement On Agriculture And Issues For The Next Round Of Agricultural Negotiations," Commissioned Papers 14618, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Baffes, John & Meerman, Jacob, 1998.
"From Prices to Incomes: Agricultural Subsidization without Protection?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 191-211, August.
- Baffes, John & Meerman, Jacob, 1997. "From prices to incomes: agricultural subsidization without protection?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1776, The World Bank.
- Zawalinska, Katarzyna, 2005. "Changes in Competitiveness of Farm Sector in Candidate Countries Prior to the EU Accession: The Case of Poland," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24520, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1997. "Trade policy options for Chile : a quantitative evaluation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1783, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Kurzweil, Marianne & Martin, Will & Sandri, Damiano & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2008.
"Measuring distortions to agricultural incentives, revisited,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4612, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Kurzweil, Marianne & Martin, Will & Sandri, Damiano & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2008. "Measuring distortions to agricultural incentives, revisited," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 675-704, October.
- Anderson, Kym & Kurzweil, Marianne & Martin, Will & Sandri, Damiano & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2008. "Measuring Distortions to Agricultural Incentives, Revisited," CEPR Discussion Papers 6924, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Valdes, Alberto & Foster, William E., 2006. "Latin America's "New Open Regionalism" and WTO Negotiations: the case of agriculture," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(12).
- Anderson, Kym, 2006.
"Reducing distortions to agricultural incentives : progress, pitfalls, and prospects,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4092, The World Bank.
- Kym Anderson, 2006. "Reducing Distortions to Agricultural Incentives: Progress, Pitfalls, and Prospects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1135-1146.
- Enrique Ospina, . "Importaciones Agropecuarias: A qué Responden?," Borradores de Economia 107, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Liefert, William M., 2007.
"Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Price Gaps,"
14576, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Khan, Mahmood Hasan, 2001. "Agricultural taxation in developing countries: a survey of issues and policy," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 315-328, March.
- Enrique Ospina G., 1998. "Importaciones Agropecuarias: A Que Responden?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002817, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Anderson, Kym & Kurzweil, Marianne & Martin, William J. & Sandri, Damiano & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2008. "Methodology for Measuring Distortions to Agricultural Incentives," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48326, World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.