Overdrafts And The Demand For Money
AbstractThis paper presents a stochastic analysis of the demand for interest-bearing money, such as NOW accounts, when overdrafting is allowed at some penalty rate. It is shown that the short-run interest elasticity of money demand is probably large (in absolute value) and negative, but in the long run this elasticity is much smaller or even positive. It is also argued that current definitions of the monetary aggregates, which exclude unused credit, may spuriously generate instability of money demand. An alternative definition of money stock is suggested and seems to be conceptually more satisfying. Copyright 1990 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tel Aviv in its series Papers with number 34-88.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Israel TEL-AVIV UNIVERSITY, THE FOERDER INSTITUTE FOR ECONOMIC RESEARCH, RAMAT AVIV 69 978 TEL AVIV ISRAEL.
Web page: http://econ.tau.ac.il/research/foerder.asp
More information through EDIRC
money ; demand ; costs;
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Youngsoo Bae & Robert M. de Jong, 2007. "Money demand function estimation by nonlinear cointegration," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 767-793.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Marion, Nancy, . "Demand for Cash with Intra-Period Endogenous Consumption," Working Papers WP2010/4, University of Haifa, Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2010.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Sulem, Agnes & Zanello, Alessandro, 2002. "Time-to-build and capacity choice," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 69-98, January.
- Marc Fusaro, 2009. "The rank, stock, order and epidemic effects of technology adoption: an empirical study of bounce protection programs," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 24-42, February.
- Baccarin, Stefano, 2009. "Optimal impulse control for a multidimensional cash management system with generalized cost functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 198-206, July.
- Fusaro, Marc Anthony, 2010. "Are "bounced check loans" really loans? Theory, evidence and policy," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 492-500, November.
- Avner Bar-Ilan, 2000. "Investment with an arithmetic process and lags," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 203-206.
- Marc Fusaro, 2008. "Hidden Consumer Loans: An Analysis of Implicit Interest Rates on Bounced Checks," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 251-263, June.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Perry, David & Stadje, Wolfgang, 2004. "A generalized impulse control model of cash management," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1013-1033, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.