Demand- And Supply-Side Policies And Unemployment: Policy Implications Of The Insider-Outside Approach
AbstractThe paper analyzes a variety of government policies that can stimulate employment when unemployment is generated through the conflicting of interest between insiders and outsiders. It also provides guidelines for identifying policies that may be ineffective. We show how supply side policies can stimulate employment by raising worker productivity or reducing labor costs. Our analysis indicates that when wages and prices are flexible, product demand policies have no significant effect on employment unless these policies stimulate labor productivity, the entry of firms, capital utilization or investment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm - International Economic Studies in its series Papers with number 439.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF STOCKHOLM, INSTITUTE FOR INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC STUDIES, S- 106 91 STOCKHOLM SWEDEN.
Web page: http://www.iies.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
unemployment ; wages ; costs;
Other versions of this item:
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 1990. " Demand- and Supply-Side Policies and Unemployment: Policy Implications of the Insider-Outsider Approach," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 279-305.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1989. "Demand- and Supply-Side Policies and Unemployment: Policy Implications of the Insider-Outsider Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fung, K.C. & C. Lin, Chelsea, 2005.
"European Economic Integration and the Effectiveness of Employment Policies,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 419-438.
- Fung, K. C. & Lin, Chelsea C. & Maechler, Andrea M., 2003. "European Economic Integration and the Effectiveness of Employment Policies," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp8k3c5, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Fung, K. C. & Lin, Chelsea C. & Maechler, Andrea M., 2003. "European Economic Integration and the Effectiveness of Employment Policies," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp8k3c5, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Rebecca M. Blank & Richard B. Freeman, 1993.
"Evaluating the Connection Between Social Protection and Economic Flexib ility,"
NBER Working Papers
4338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rebecca M. Blank & Richard B. Freeman, 1994. "Evaluating the Connection between Social Protection and Economic Flexibility," NBER Chapters, in: Social Protection versus Economic Flexibility: Is There a Trade-Off?, pages 21-42 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aguiar, Alvaro & Ribeiro, Ana Paula, 2009. "Monetary policy and the transition costs of a labor market reform," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 547-560, December.
- Muysken,Joan & Zwick,Thomas, 1996. "Insider power breeds human capitalists," Research Memoranda 017, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Rebecca M. Blank, 1997.
"No Easy Answers: Comparative Labor Market Problems in the United States versus Europe,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_188, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Rebecca M. Blank, 1997. "No Easy Answers: Comparative Labor Market Problems in the United States Versus Europe," Macroeconomics 9711003, EconWPA.
- Kilponen, J., 1999.
"Central Bank Independence and Wage Bargaining Structure - Empirical Evidence,"
Bank of Finland - Studies in Economics and Finance
9/99, Bank of Finland. Research Department..
- Kilponen, Juha, 1999. "Central Bank Independence and Wage Bargaining Structure - Empirical Evidence," Research Discussion Papers 9/1999, Bank of Finland.
- Muysken,Joan & Zwick,Thomas, 1996. "A note on incentive wages with human capital formation," Research Memoranda 012, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Tony Syme, 2000. "Public Policy and Unemployment in Interwar France: An Empirical Approach," Economics Series Working Papers 55, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.