Instruments of Control, Measures of Output: Contending Approaches to the Practice pf "Scientific" Management on Britain's Railways in the Early Twentieth Century
AbstractThis paper examines the role of information in the management of railway entreprises from 1900 to c1921. Historically the railway sector has been as backward in adopting new management techniques. Only the North Eastern Railway and its use of statistical analysis for management control has been regarded as exemplifying best practice.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Southampton - Department of Accounting and Management Science in its series Papers with number 00-163.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Southampton, Department of Accounting & Mangement Science, Southampton S09 5NH UK.
Phone: 44 0173 592537/592555
Fax: 44 0173 593858
Web page: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~econweb/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.