The Role of Informal Finance in Household Capital Accumulation: Evidence from Taiwan
AbstractEconomies that experience rapid growth also experience major changes in their consumption patterns, particularly for consumer durables. This paper studies the diffusion of durables in Taiwan between 1977 and 1991. The authors focus on the link between household accumulation of durables and participation in informal financial institutions. While growth in per capita income in Taiwan has been great, many households still rely on traditional forms of finance. The authors test the idea that rotating savings and credit associations, which are found worldwide, exist to lower the cost of saving for durables. Their analysis finds evidence of that link. Copyright 1996 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies in its series Papers with number 171.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PRINCETON UNIVERSITY, WOODROW WILSON SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AND INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS, PRINCETON NEW- JERSEY 08542 U.S.A.
Phone: (609) 258-4800
Web page: http://www.wws.princeton.edu/
More information through EDIRC
economic growth ; financial institutions ; income;
Other versions of this item:
- Besley, Timothy & Levenson, Alec R, 1996. "The Role of Informal Finance in Household Capital Accumulation: Evidence from Taiwan," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 39-59, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2010.
"Formal versus Informal Finance: Evidence from China,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 3048-3097, August.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2008. "Formal versus informal finance : evidence from China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4465, The World Bank.
- Ulrike Vogelgesang, 2001. "The Impact of Microfinance Loans on the Clients' Enterprises: Caja Los Andes, Bolivia," GK working paper series 2001-03, Post Graduate Programme "Allocation on Financial Markets", University of Mannheim, revised Nov 2001.
- Randall Morck & David Stangeland & Bernard Yeung, 2000.
"Inherited Wealth, Corporate Control, and Economic Growth The Canadian Disease?,"
in: Concentrated Corporate Ownership, pages 319-372
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall K. Morck & David A. Stangeland & Bernard Yeung, 1998. "Inherited Wealth, Corporate Control and Economic Growth: The Canadian Disease," NBER Working Papers 6814, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. S. Chiteji, 2002. "Promises kept: enforcement and the role of rotating savings and credit associations in an economy," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 393-411.
- Levenson, Alec R. & Besley, Timothy, 1996. "The anatomy of an informal financial market: Rosca participation in Taiwan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 45-68, October.
- Demid Golikov, 2005. "Financial Intermediary In Monetary Economics: An Excerpt," Macroeconomics 0510018, EconWPA.
- SODOKIN, Koffi, 2006. "Functional and structural complementarities of banks and microbanks in L.D.Cs," LEG - Document de travail - Economie 2006-10, LEG, Laboratoire d'Economie et de Gestion, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Olivier Dagnelie & Philippe LeMay, 2005.
"Rosca Participation in Benin : a Commitment Issue,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Olivier Dagnelie & Philippe LeMay-Boucher, 2008. "Rosca Participation in Benin: a Commitment Issue," Working Papers 339, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Olivier Dagnelie & Philippe LeMay-Boucher, 2008. "Rosca Participation in Benin: a Commitment Issue," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 735.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- A. Lasagni & E. Lollo, 2011. "Participation in Rotating Savings and Credit Associations in Indonesia: New Empirical Evidence on Social Capital," Economics Department Working Papers 2011-EP05, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Alexander Karaivanov, 2003. "Financial Contracts and Occupational Choice," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 25, Society for Computational Economics.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Lu, L. & Yang, R., 2013. "Finance and Growth for Microenterprises: Evidence from Rural China," Discussion Paper 2013-053, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kan, Kamhon, 2000. "Informal capital sources and household investment: evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 209-232, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.