A Continuous Time Approximation To The Unstable First- Order Autoregressive Process: The Case Without An Intercept
AbstractWe consider a first-order autoregression with i.i.d. errors and a fixed initial condition. The asymptotic distribution of the normalized least-squares estimator as the sampling interval converges to zero is shown to be the same as the exact distribution of the continuous-time estimator in an Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process. This asymptotic distribution permits explicit consideration of the effect of the initial condition. The appropriate moment-generating function is derived and used to tabulate the limiting distribution and probability density functions, the moments and some power functions. The adequacy of this asymptotic approximation is found to be excellent for values of the autoregressive parameter near one and any fixed initial condition. Copyright 1991 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program in its series Papers with number 337.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
maximum likelihood ; sampling ; mathematical analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Perron, Pierre, 1991. "A Continuous Time Approximation to the Unstable First-Order Autoregressive Process: The Case without an Intercept," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 211-36, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hendrik P. van Dalen & Kene Henkens, 2000. "What makes a Scientific Article influential?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-032/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kurozumi, Eiji, 2002. "Testing for stationarity with a break," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 63-99, May.
- Perron, Pierre & Vodounou, Cosme, 2004. "Tests of return predictability: an analysis of their properties based on a continuous time asymptotic framework," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 203-230, March.
- Cosme Vodounou, 1998. "Inférence fondée sur les statistiques des rendements de long terme," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-20, CIRANO.
- Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N, 2013. "The Asymptotic Size and Power of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller Test for a Unit Root," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0784p55m, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- PERRON, Pierre & VODOUNOU, Cosme, 1998.
"Asymptotic Approximations in the Near-Integrated Model with a Non-Zero Initial Condition,"
Cahiers de recherche
9815, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Pierre Perron & Cosme Vodounou, 2001. "Asymptotic approximations in the near-integrated model with a non-zero initial condition," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 42.
- John Hatgioannides & Spiros Mesomeris, 2005. "Mean Reversion in Equity Prices: the G-7 Evidence," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 64, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mukhtar M. Ali, 1996. "Distribution of the Least Squares Estimator in a First-Order Autoregressive Model," Econometrics 9610004, EconWPA.
- Mukhtar Ali, 2002. "Distribution Of The Least Squares Estimator In A First-Order Autoregressive Model," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 89-119.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2000033 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.