Gender Differences in Mate Search Effort.: an Exploratory Economic Analysis of Personal Advertisements
AbstractAs a logical extension to the microeconomic analysis of human relationships, this study examines the actual method of mate search, in particular the use of personal advertisements. Some empirical support is found for Becker's (1973,1974) explanations of mating strategy, but in relation to the level of search effort by gender, the results are not so clearly in accordance with his thinking.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Portsmouth University - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 69r.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.K.; University of Portsmouth; Department of Economics, Locksway Road, Milton, Southsea Hants PO4 8JF, UK
Phone: 44 (0)1705 844082
Fax: +44 (0)1705 844037
Web page: http://www.pbs.port.ac.uk/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Paul Butler-Smith & Samuel Cameron & Alan Collins, 1998. "Gender differences in mate search effort: an exploratory economic analysis of personal advertisements," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(10), pages 1277-1285.
- C90 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - General
- C92 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Group Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Collins, Alan & Judge, Guy, 2008. "Client participation in paid sex markets under alternative regulatory regimes," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 294-301, December.
- Vaillant, Nicolas G., 2004. "Estimating the time elapsed between ending a relationship and joining a matchmaking agency: Evidence from a French marriage bureau," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 789-802, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.