The Risk and Return Characteristics of Stock Market-Based Real Estate Indexes and Their Relation to Appraisal-Based Returns
AbstractDespite its importance to our national wealth, real estate remains a relatively unstudied asset. A key reason for this is the perceived limitations of available return data. Most research in the area relies on the appraisal-based series such as the Frank Russell Company (FRC) index. This paper suggests that the stock market provides a ready source of transactions-based data. Many real estate researchers are skeptical of stock market data because the studies of real estate investment trusts (REITs) find that their returns are more correlated with the broader stock market than with other known real estate series. A typical conclusion is that traded real estate securities do not accurately reflect real estate values. We argue that such conclusions are premature. We simulate the returns and risks of portfolios of different types of real estate firms using historical stock prices for the 1962-1988 period. We use the time series of the real estate portfolio returns to estimate the correlation structure of returns among real estate securities, common stocks, long-term Treasury bonds, and inflation. Estimation of factor models documents a particularly strong small stock component to traded real estate stock returns. We also find substantial heterogeneity in return patterns across different types of real estate firms. Finally, we demonstrate that our real estate portfolios are not unrelated to appraisal-based indexes. Lagged values of the real estate portfolio returns can predict returns on the FRC index.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research in its series Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers with number 5-90.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3254 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6367
Phone: (215) 898-7616
Fax: (215) 573-8084
Web page: http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/~rlwctr/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Joseph Gyourko & Donald B. Keim, . "The Risk and Return Characteristics of Stock Market-Based Real Estate Indexes and Their Relation to Appraisal-Based Returns," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 05-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gyourko, J. & Keim, D.B., 1990. "The Risk And Return Characteristics Of Stock Market-Based Real Estate Indexes And Their Relation To Appraisal- Based Returns," Weiss Center Working Papers 5-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.