Bank Capital Regulation in General Equilibrium
AbstractWe study whether the socially optimal level of stability of the banking system can be implemented with regulatory capital requirements in a multi-period general equilibrium model of banking. We show that: (i) bank capital is costly because of the unique liquidity services provided by demand deposits, so a bank regulator may optimally choose to have a risky banking system; (ii) even if the regulator prefers more capital in the system, the regulator is constrained by the private cost of bank capital, which determines whether bank shareholders will agree to meet capital requirements rather than exit the industry.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research in its series Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers with number 17-95.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3254 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6367
Phone: (215) 898-7616
Fax: (215) 573-8084
Web page: http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/~rlwctr/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Santomero, Anthony M & Watson, Ronald D, 1977. "Determining an Optimal Capital Standard for the Banking Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1267-82, September.
- Sharpe, William F., 1978. "Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance and Security Values," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 701-718, November.
- Mailath George J. & Mester Loretta J., 1994.
"A Positive Analysis of Bank Closure,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 272-299, June.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- John H. Boyd & Edward C. Prescott, 1985.
87, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990. " Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- William F. Sharpe, 1977. "Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance and Security Values, Part I," NBER Working Papers 0209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahane, Yehuda, 1977. "Capital adequacy and the regulation of financial intermediaries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 207-218, October.
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Lam, Chun H & Chen, Andrew H, 1985. " Joint Effects of Interest Rate Deregulation and Capital Requirements on Optimal Bank Portfolio Adjustments," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 563-75, June.
- Pringle, John J, 1974. "The Capital Decision in Commercial Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 779-95, June.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1991. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: a note (reprinted from Journal of Banking and Finance)," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 34-39.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1983.
"Non-Monetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in the Propagation of the Great Depression,"
NBER Working Papers
1054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983. "Nonmonetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in Propagation of the Great Depression," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 257-76, June.
- Buser, Stephen A & Chen, Andrew H & Kane, Edward J, 1981. "Federal Deposit Insurance, Regulatory Policy, and Optimal Bank Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 51-60, March.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M, 1988. " Risk in Banking and Capital Regulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1219-33, December.
- Gorton, Gary & Pennacchi, George, 1990. " Financial Intermediaries and Liquidity Creation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 49-71, March.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Keeley, Michael C. & Furlong, Frederick T., 1990. "A reexamination of mean-variance analysis of bank capital regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 69-84, March.
- Slovin, Myron B & Sushka, Marie E & Polonchek, John A, 1993. " The Value of Bank Durability: Borrowers as Bank Stakeholders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 247-66, March.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1970. "Capital Investment in Commercial Banking and Its Relationship to Portfolio Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-26, Jan.-Feb..
- Chortareas, Georgios E. & Girardone, Claudia & Ventouri, Alexia, 2012. "Bank supervision, regulation, and efficiency: Evidence from the European Union," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 292-302.
- G. Chiesa, 2001. "Competition and Regulation in Banking," Working Papers 397, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Donsyah Yudistira, 2002. "The Impact of Bank Capital Requirements in Indonesia," Finance 0212002, EconWPA, revised 18 May 2003.
- Hyun, Jung-Soon & Rhee, Byung-Kun, 2011. "Bank capital regulation and credit supply," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 323-330, February.
- Bris, Arturo & Cantale, Salvatore, 2004. "Bank capital requirements and managerial self-interest," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 77-101, February.
- David Marshall & Subu Venkataraman, 1997. "Bank capital standards for market risk: a welfare analysis," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-97-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.