Do Investors Care About Sentiment?
AbstractResults of recent research indicate small investor sentiment, as measured by the change in the discount on closed-end funds, is an important factor in the return generating process for common stocks. We find no evidence of it being an important factor in the return generating process. We next examine its impact on expected returns and whether one set of firms with high sensitivity to this factor, closed-end funds, offers, and can be expected to offer, a higher expected return. Our findings do not support small investor sentiment as a priced factor, either in common stocks or closed-end funds.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business- in its series New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires with number 98-028.
Date of creation: Feb 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S.A.; New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics . 44 West 4th Street. New York, New York 10012-1126
Phone: (212) 998-0100
Web page: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/finance/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John R. Ezzell & James A. Miles & J. Harold Mulherin, 2001. "Is there Really a When-Issued Premium?," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-34, Claremont Colleges.
- Stephen Brown & William Goetzmann & Takato Hiraki & Noriyoshi Shiraishi & Masahiro Watanabe, 2002.
"Investor Sentiment in Japanese and U.S. Daily Mutual Fund Flows,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm274, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2008.
- Stephen J. Brown & William N. Goetzmann & Takato Hiraki & Noriyoshi Shirishi & Masahiro Watanabe, 2003. "Investor Sentiment in Japanese and U.S. Daily Mutual Fund Flows," NBER Working Papers 9470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Brown & William N. Goetzmann & Takato Hiraki & Niroyoshi Shiraishi & Masahiro Watanabe, 2002. "Investor Sentiment in Japanese and U.S. Daily Mutual Fund Flows," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm24, Yale School of Management.
- Mohamed Ayadi & Hatem Ben-Ameur & Skander Lazrak & Yue Wang, 2013. "Canadian Investors and the Discount on Closed-End Funds," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 69-98, February.
- Burdekin, Richard C.K. & Redfern, Luke, 2009. "Sentiment effects on Chinese share prices and savings deposits: The post-2003 experience," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 246-261, June.
- Hengelbrock, Jördis & Theissen, Erik & Westheide, Christian, 2011.
"Market response to investor sentiment,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2011/02, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Chan, Kalok & Kot, Hung Wan & Li, Desmond, 2008. "Portfolio concentration and closed-end fund discounts: Evidence from the China market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 129-143, June.
- Lee, Wayne Y. & Jiang, Christine X. & Indro, Daniel C., 2002. "Stock market volatility, excess returns, and the role of investor sentiment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2277-2299.
- Flynn, Sean M., 2005. "Noise-trader Risk: Does it Deter Arbitrage, and Is it Priced?," Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series 69, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Brown, Gregory W. & Cliff, Michael T., 2004. "Investor sentiment and the near-term stock market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2006.
"Investor Sentiment and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(4), pages 1645-1680, 08.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2004. "Investor Sentiment and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 10449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Dave & Turtle, H.J., 2012. "Cross-sectional performance and investor sentiment in a multiple risk factor model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1107-1121.
- Jones, Christopher S., 2001. "Extracting factors from heteroskedastic asset returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 293-325, November.
- Han, Bin, 2004. "Limits of Arbitrage, Sentiment and Pricing Kernal: Evidences from Index Options," Working Paper Series 2004-2, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Arquette, Gregory C. & Brown Jr., William O. & Burdekin, Richard C.K., 2008. "US ADR and Hong Kong H-share discounts of Shanghai-listed firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1916-1927, September.
- Samuel Jones & Michael Stroup, 2013. "Economic freedom and the mispricing of single-state municipal bond closed-end funds," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 173-187, April.
- Michael Bleaney & R. Todd Smith, . "Closed-End Fund Betas," Discussion Papers 06/04, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Michael Bleaney & R. Todd Smith, . "Excess Volatility and Closed-End Fund Discounts," Discussion Papers 11/05, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Verma, Rahul & Soydemir, Gökçe, 2009. "The impact of individual and institutional investor sentiment on the market price of risk," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 1129-1145, August.
- Dylan Thomas & Gordon Gemmill, 2002. "Noise Training, Costly Arbitrage and Asset Prices: evidence from closed-end funds," Working Papers wp02-09, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Chan, Justin S.P. & Jain, Ravi & Xia, Yihong, 2008. "Market segmentation, liquidity spillover, and closed-end country fund discounts," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 377-399, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.